Saturday, July 26, 2014

Saturday's Stuff.......


This is the  largest coneflower bloom in my patch.  It is surprising that  they are all different sizes but I know in dry years they are smaller. I guess the older the plant and the more water that it gets the larger the flower.  All the others are spreaders from the last two years. The bugs are on all the flowers in the garden as they glean off whatever it is that they eat.  Sadly the roses get at least one hole in a petal from a hungry bug or worm.

 I don't know a lot about phlox other than they are easy to grow.  They can become invasive.  I did notice that my pink colored phlox is putting out a whiter version of the flower that started up from spreading seed.  This phlox grows in another part of yard and I do remember buying at a greenhouse. It as it has a deeper color.  I may put extra water on this one as I do want to see it in full bloom this year.

I really don't know if I can dig it and move it after it blooms but I am thinking that I could get more of this color moved somewhere else.




I mistakenly bought sunflower seed that was of the more exotic kind.  It is shorter and has red colors in its blooms.  I went back and bought the larger sunflower to use for birdseed.  This one here is the redder kind of sunflower as you can see the foliage has red veins also.  I can see the bud head in this photo but I didn't notice it when I took the photo.







Here is another shot of my petunia pot.  The little yellow flowers are increasing in number.  I will have a purple and yellow accent area soon among the orange peach petunias to give variety to the planting.  Walmart planned that as I just bought some cheap flowers in a plastic container that needed to be watered.The petunias do have a great smell in the evening when we go out to be with the dogs.

My pink version of this rose is not doing well.  I may dig it and move it to a better location.  I think it is planted in an area that was previously a rock pathway grown over by grass. I think it would like more soil in order to grow.  

I have mowing to do today.  I didn't take Wednesday off so I need to play catchup on the grass.  It looks good but when I start to mow it I know it will be thick and harder to mow.  I can push through it but I need to go slower.

Friday was my last day of work at school for the summer so I can now get back to weeding the garden and mowing grass more regularly.  The summer seems to have going by too quickly.  I hope we can get out a little and do stuff that non working retired people do all the time.  At least we will be free to go do things rather than being held in a schedule.  We have no travel plans Hopefully we can get our small dog to switch back to a different time to awaken in the morning.  He got us up at 5:15 this morning,  the normal work schedule time but it is Saturday. That does have to change. 

I hope all are well today and will have a good weekend planned. I appreciate you stopping in today at my post.

6 comments:

RachelD said...

Oh, My. Those double-double lilies at the top are breathtaking! And the coneflowers---I love those things, and still have a few come up volunteer now and then.

Glad you're having some time to just be YOU and do things you enjoy. I always enjoy looking in and seeing what you're doing those several-states-away.

Thank you for joining and following LAWN TEA!

rachel

Patsy said...

Your blooms are doing good, school will be starting here soon.
I liked it better when school went Sept to June. but that was in the old days.LOL

Gardening with Juanita said...

I move my Phlox in the spring, they are smaller and it is cooler then and more rain. I have moved them to many places in my yard. I water them every day until they seem strong enough to make it on their own. I love the color of yours.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

That is a big coneflower. I planted a new plant for them this year and have one flower. Next year...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this post and all your photos. That is a huge coneflower. I am thankful that you get a break from working in this heat. I hope you both will enjoy some free time and perhaps, even sleep later if Button will cooperate.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I love those orange petunias! Next year I might look for some! If you wait until after they bloom you can cut off the phlox a little shorter dig them and move them but they will need lots of water when moved:)