Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Wednesday's Wanderings............


It is cold today with the high being 69 degrees F.  We are to hit that high by 6:00 in the evening.  I know that it doesn't hurt the plants to be cooled down but I am sure nothing will make great strides in growth with out some sunshine. I didn't mention that it was 53 degrees F. here this morning.


My cheap petunias are doing better. They have seen so much rain that I have to keep pouring out the excess water in the tray below their pot. They look weathered because the weather is beating on them daily.  Eventually the newer buds will all be out at the same time and it will look better.  I see that the little yellow flowering plant and the purple one too are reviving from being in the container at Walmart for too long of time. We still have mud everywhere.




I have buds on all my lilies this year.  I transplanted a couple of daylilies last year that a friend had given me and they have buds on them too. 

I mowed a lot of ground yesterday and drug the pile of juniper branches to the back of my property.  We are going to have evening bonfires with the making of smores until I get it all burned up and gone. We are allowed to have bonfiers for recreation.  I counted five piles of trimmed branches while out working yesterday.

I need to pick raspberries but I will wait until it gets a little warmer.  I can put on a hooded sweatshirt to do the job but I don't want to put on a winter coat. There are plenty to pick as the rains helped bring on fruit.














The hostas are all blooming right now.  I will get more pictures today as it is overcast and not raining.  We had a spotty shower yesterday while Button and I were out trimming back spent rose blooms.  We had to come in as it was a heavy spotty shower and I didn't want to have to change clothes if I stayed out in it.

All of the hostas are filling in nicely this year.  I was concerned that the holes in the leaves from hail and the previous dry season would cause them to not have a normal season.  I could probably do some more creative moving of hostas but I will leave them alone for now.









I haven't put in my pump for the fish tank so far this summer and I won't deal with it today as the water would be very cold.  I can go out each day and see some of the 7 fish that I bought last Saturday.  I should start feeding them a little fish food but they are still working on the stuff floating on the water.  I will be interested to see how big these guys will grow in the summer season.  I have seen evidence that them other raccoon is around this year.  I hope she heads for the cornfield early this year.



I am using up all my photos now so I will have to go shoot more shots.  I have zinnias that are doing well and the sunflowers are growing fast.  The morning glories are climbing quickly this year but as of yet no blooms are in sight.  I put in one cucumber plant that I bought from Walmart and the small muskmellons that I planted are trying to vine. We were given a small muskmellon last fall and I saved the seeds. They are small enough that we won't be stuck with a lot of mellons  It just isn't hot enough for them to take off and really do some good growth.


The neighbor lady is taking us on a short adventure today and we will end up at Walmart again for entertainment.  I will hit the garden area but I don't need to be buying anything.  It is a smaller Walmart in Boone, Iowa and their garden center is always in a hurry to put out plants and then more of a hurry to shut it down.  Small Walmart stores are a little sad after you have been to a large one.  We have a lot of small ones in our area that really do good business and yet you would think a larger one would do better.

I will close this down for the day.  I have some house chores to do and I will start creating the grid today in which the senior photos will be placed.  I am still lacking one photo but can leave a blank space until I get it.  I thank you for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems odd that you have such cool temps. It is very hot here in GA, both yesterday and today...in the 90's. Like you, I always check WalMart for super bargains on late season plants. If I buy only a couple, I can tolerate planting them!
Always nice to check in on you two. Give Button and Barney a pat on the head from us.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

We're unseasonably cool today too. Made for a nice afternoon in the garden. You are getting lovely blooms.

troutbirder said...

Our weather and flower garden situation are very similar. I've been telling my spouse that the drab and dreary weather is practice for moving to Seattle... All I get is a dirty look.