Monday, January 31, 2011

Smoke them if you have them.............


John Horton was a pipe smoker and this container would have contained pouches of loose tobacco.  Note the holes in the can to allow the tobacco to breath or to encourage people to buy it because you could smell the contents.  I have a baby quilt that was made with tobacco pouch cloth by John and Iva Horton. The pouch cloth was blended in with different colors. all small squares. John did the sewing of the squares to make the top on his treadle sewing machine and Iva did the quilting.


Another view of the can.


A short report on how my new starts of the violet slips are doing.  I have a plant light on them night and day and you can see how green the foliage has become now.  I find it to be interesting to see that they now need to be repotted  again as there are multiple plants in these pots.  I find there are seven different plants in just these three pots.  The red pieces are dropping from the geranium blooms which sit on a shelf above them.

I am subbing in the Spanish classroom today.  I have had a lot of Spanish but never used it in conversation in a very successful way.  It will prove to be an interesting experience.  I am hoping they all have busy work and I can post comments on blogs part of the day.

I see we have a snow storm and maybe blizzard weather conditions on the way for the next few days.  I was just getting use to all the extreme cold.  Now we can add flying white stuff to our mix.  I saw a suggested amount of 9-10 inches by Tuesday evening.

Thanks for stopping by my blog today.  I will try to catch up a little on reading all of yours now that I am almost better.   A little touchy in the stomach department yet and still very tired.  Old age maybe is creeping in to greet me.  Thanks............

3 comments:

Rae said...

I love African violets. My mother had a green thumb and she grew bunches of them. Everyone marveled at them. I don't have much success. My window lighting is all wrong. Maybe I need a plant light like you have.
We are expecting another storm too. It looks like it is going to be another week of being housebound for me. I was hoping for a February thaw.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, Just catching up on some blog reading and sorry to learn that you were under the weather, but maybe that is better than being in it? Yes, I heard that parts of the country are bracing for lots more winter weather and snow this week. Here on the VA eastern shore it's predicted to be lots of rain...we could trade for a little snow. Hope you feel better soon.

Forgot to comment on your Spanish class subbing. Grenville is starting a beginning Spanish class this week at the community college (adult education). He's currently teaching English as a Second Language and has 3 students.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, Glad to hear you are feeling good enough to drag yourself off to the school! Your Violets look very healthy..great job! Stay warm..we are north of the storm:)