Sunday, December 9, 2012

Designing as I go.........


There is a special coin or medal that is given to the family along with the casket flag when a veteran dies.  I made a special display case just for the coin.  It has been difficult to make as I did design it as I progressed through the process.


The base was an afterthought and that too was trial and error to create good design. I switched the end shapes over and over again.  Finally I went downstairs and trimmed them to a vertical.



The wood piece with the circle, that holds the medal, will slide in from behind the frame.  There will be glass in front of the triangular wood shape and then a backing will hold it all into the display.



Triangular pieces do not clamp together well so I use carpenter's tape to hold it in place while the glue dries.


I still need to create the backing but this is the final appearance of the display piece.  I am putting a hand rubbed wax finish on the pieces which I think enhances cedar wood. I don't like the look of finish that shines on this kind of wood and even the satin finish seems too unnatural for it.

It is snowing today so the trip to church will be slippery.  We are going to become very cold tonight with a northwest Canadian wind blowing at us.  Ten degrees F. will be the low so I can't imagine what the windchill will be.

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful workmanship, Larry.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Very nice, Larry, even if designing as you go, which seems to be working very well. No snow here, just a dreary, rainy and foggy day on the VA eastern shore.