Monday, February 3, 2014

Monday's Moves........


I had to take about four shots to get this one in focus.  I was glad to see it eating suet.  I am guessing it is a nuthatch. It flew in right after a large group of juncos and sparrows had fluttered away in mass.


When I had edited the first picture, I thought I would check this one to see if the bird was in better focus.  I discovered another on the bottom floor of the feeder.  I believe both of them are white breasted nuthatches.  I usually only see one at a time and it would be easy to think that there was just one. The guy on the suet feeder had crawled up and down the posts of the feeder like a little acrobat which is characteristic of their behavior on trees.


I also shared a similar picture of this squirrel on my Photo a Day blog.  The glare spots have been reduced from the double panes of windows.  I still have an orb over his eye.  The paranormal people would say that it is a ghost but it isn't today, just the sun reflecting back and forth between the window and storm window.


While I am lacking any color in my blog I decided to share this new finding.  I had noticed a brochure at the town grocery store which was sharing the positive sights to see in the small town of 1000 people.  At the back of the brochure I was surprised and glad to see the photo of our mural in it that we painted over three years ago.  It is 6 foot by 6 foot in size so the photo doesn't quite suggest it's true impression as when you see it.  It was a big job for the two of us to paint but it has up to now not been advertised very much.  It shares a spot with our small swimming pool, the social center sign and the Masonic crest that decorates the top of one of our old bring building on main street.

I am sitting in the study hall of the middle school today.  It will be a long day of student sitting but it won't be too bad of an assignment.  I didn't get called in until late, 30 minutes after school had started.  I wasn't ready to be at school but I made some abbreviated changes to my clothes and appearance and showed up for the job.  The principal was glad to see me.  It is sunny again today with a temperature to be 25 degrees F.   We are still having very cold nights.  Snowstorm is on its way by tomorrow.  I was glad I was called in late as I didn't figure I would get work tomorrow with the weather.   I hope all of you are staying safe.   Thanks for stopping by today........stay warm.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The nuthatches and squirrels are fun to watch. We are at 68 degrees today with very clear skies. I actually have the windows cracked for the kitties to enjoy.
I hope you won't get a lot more snow. Karen is iced in too.
Congrats to you both on your mural being featured in the brochure. I was fascinated by your art and have sent many of my blog friends to your posts about creating the mural.
Glad you could work today. Stay safe.

Linda said...

I love watching birds and other wildlife, and it is so nice to see this lovely bird eating suet. Thank you so much for sharing this, Larry.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I have stopped adding seed to our feeders for awhile. It's because the very unwelcome starlings and grackles descend en masse and stay until everything is devoured. We tap on the windows and they scatter, but shortly afterwards they return. They do not share with the cardinals, sparrows, juncos, blue jays and in fact don't even share well with each other. Sorry the prettier birds will be deprived for awhile, but have to wait until these seed hogs clear out.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes they are White Breasted Nuthatches or Assups as my Aunt used to call them.
I bet it was good to see your mural featured..you are getting famous! :)