Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Green Report......


The stella o d'oro day lillies are showing strong in the cold ground.  I never get the name right and have to look up the spelling every time I post things about that lily. I have a few leaves to rake away near this growth but I am going to wait until it warms up some more.  We were right at freezing temps this morning.  I know the fernleaf peony is right next to this but I want to keep it protected. I am very concerned about a couple of my roses as they are still looking dead without any growth or greening of any stems.


The variegated iris is coming up in the south garden area.  It is warmer back there and it did bloom for me for the first time last spring.


These iris look healthy too.  I am not sure what I have planted there but it may be things that I moved out into the sunnier part of the garden.  If they bloom out this summer I can decide to segregate them more into different areas. It is just a nursery area, at least that is what I think I have here. I did it but don't remember what I planted.

Barney tolerates me shooting a picture as he is busy checking the backyard for squirrels, cats, neighbor dogs and even a stray rabbit.  A good guard dog needs to be selective in what he barks at while being out side. 

He has been taking a vitamin for his bad back legs and we really are noticing a change in him.  He still sleeps a lot but his activity level has increased and he seems to be running with that same old vitality that he had when younger. 













I am home today as there was not needs for a sub today at school.  I welcome it as I have been physically tired the last two days.  I just drug through yesterday's classes.  Today I will do things with less stress added to the jobs. 

At the present time I have loaded in the car three antique dining chairs and three tv sets.  My wife's friend who we helped move to Des Moines from Minneapolis had a collection going on in her apartment.  She lives in senior citizen housing.  It is a nice place and she likes it there.  She feels very safe there.  People on the floor keep giving her things, like their old tv sets.  She can't get them to work and after the third was brought to her she asked for help. I told her I would get them out of there for her.  She also had the tree chairs of my parents on loan and she gave them back to us. She received some nice chairs and a table that matched so she didn't need the others.  I think I will unload one tv at a time and see which works and which won't.  One was a small one that I gave to her which sat on my work space next to me while I framed things.  It will go back there.  The other two could end up in the landfill if they don't cooperate.

Running errands this afternoon in the Jordan Creek Mall area so I bet we hit a bookstore this afternoon.  Worked three days so it is nice to have a Thursday off for a change. We may pick up noon lunch if things go well.  Thanks for stopping by today.

4 comments:

Patsy said...

You are very busy today. So glad to see your green, things are looking up.

troutbirder said...

Stella survived many a cold spring for me and kept going strong. My expensive fern leaf, beauty that she was..... not so good. :(

The Furry Gnome said...

A lot greener in your garden than in ours yet!

Far Side of Fifty said...

What kind of Vitamin do you give Barney? Chance is real stiff this spring, more so in his front legs. Glad you had a day off!~ :)