Saturday, November 1, 2014

Saturday Stuff........


Cleaning out the birdbath is on my mental list of things to do.  I placed a faded, spent dahlia into the water to make it look more tropical.  The temperatures say otherwise as we are in our low 20's F. this morning. I will dig the dahlia when I see the green on top has been frozen.  My neighbor asked about when to save seed from the zinnias.  I am glad she asked as that was not on my mental list.

I did bring in the zinnia and dahlia blooms a couple of days ago.  I am glad that we could enjoy them in the house. A few of the blooms didn't seem to like being picked and placed in a vase as they faded instantly while the others look good still today. 

My neighbor places geranium seedlings in an old fashion spreading planter.  They sort of bloom but are kept in small buckets so they never really grow.  So again this fall she gave me the 5 or 6 of them to save over winter.  Those who follow me know that I don't need any more geraniums in the house.  I will try to find a larger pot that I can place them in, all of them at once, so I can keep them alive until spring.  Putting them in a large container might allow them spread out their toots and grow much more foliage than where they were all summer. 

This is the after shot of my siding repair that I have been working on,  I still need to go back and caulk seems and holes in the ancient cedar boards.  It looks a whole lot better than what it was like before.  I know it is a temporary solution but it has the viewers of the town believing that it looks good.



Here is a showing of where it had been in comparison condition wise to where it is now.  I will sneak in time to paint trim boards and trim around the windows before it gets to be too bad out there.  If we get back up in the 60's I can paint for a few more days.  I have a few other areas on the house that need attention but they won't be major jobs as touch ups of worn siding.





This is the leaf of the red maple that turned red on the east side and then turned this color on the rest of the tree.  The tree had been chopped at by the town's foresters to keep limbs off the walking side of the tree.  I don't know if that effected the tree or not but I do suspect the flow of sap was interrupted by the butcher job. 









I see work that has to get done outside and inside the house. It is too much for me for one day.  I will just take steps toward some of it and hope I can catch up on all of it.  We did get the two artworks sent out in the mail this morning and I have another artwork to get framed.  The jobs to get done are too many so I will just grab something and start in on it.  Freezing cold two nights in a row will stop growth on things outside.  I will cover roses with leaves and start to take down the tomato plants.  The leaves do await my arrival and I will take tomorrow off.  It is a busy time of the year.  Thanks for stopping by today.  Everyone take care of yourselves and I will see you again tomorrow.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo of the bird bath. So happy you can enjoy the bright zinnia blooms a little while longer. Your siding turned out well. I know you are happy to have that job completed. We are much colder today and the wind is terrible. We did get the outdoor plants covered with pine straw mulch for the winter months. Hope you two have a good afternoon.

Ruby said...

Interesting pictures Larry. Love the fall leaf!

Dan the Mountain Man said...

The birdbath looks nice with the stuff in the water. I can tell you put a lot of work in your yard. Mental list does not seem to be enough.

Vicki Lane said...

Love the birdbath photo!