Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Wednesday's Wonders........


A spent tulip looks like some other flower as it heads to the point of dropping off its petals.  Not all tulips finish off their season doing this as some just drop petals off in a closed form one petal at a time.





Looking out yesterday at the area in the garden I saw a bush full of red blooms.  They seemed to all open at one time. There are a couple of buds that did not open but I bet they will today. The fernleaf tends to open and bloom by its growing conditions and this plant has more light and sun during the day than the others.











It isn't as tough as the other variety of peony as the petals of the blooms are more paper like and thin causing the blooms not to last for long. 














My transplanted hostas are all coming up now.  It will look sharp in front of my newly built fence. I moved other things in the area which surprised me as they started to sprout out of the ground. I didn't remember what I had moved there but now I do as they come up.  I see an Asiatic lily on the corner and I put other kinds around that same corner. So far the stuff that I planted have all come up and the big dog has not tromped into the area.  I was smart enough to know that both big dog and little dog would be poking their heads through the corner of the fence to bark at people going by the place.



The Minnesota balsm pine has put out a lot of good growth this spring with the snow and rains of spring making it grow.












The spirea at this spot had to be cut down to the ground and two years later it is back to being a good specimen shrub.  It ferns really do enhance its beauty at this time of the year.  I don't miss all the volunteer trees that I had to remove from the older spirea bush.





I took this photo yesterday and I see this morning that they are in bloom.  They are the old cemetery iris and are really hardy growers. I can't believe how fast an iris can shoot up  sprouts with buds on them.  It seems like overnight as I have a lot of other iris shooting up sprouts.





I am back in the business room today teaching various things.  I had students that had to do elevator speeches today about themselves.  It is a new thing for me know about and they did a good job. They had 30 to 60 seconds to describe who they are as if they were at the beginning of an interview. In other classes they are filling out question forms for applying for insurance and other are bookkeeping on the computer.  In the past I have learned a lot about stocks and bonds and mutual funds too. We will have a rain storm hitting some time this late afternoon.  We can see it coming on the radar.  We still need more rain so we will just get wet when we go for groceries.   Thank you for stopping by for a visit.  Everyone take care and enjoy spring.

3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Spirea is beautiful! Your pruning did it's job! Your yard is really coming alive! So far today we have ten rain drops:(

Anonymous said...

Beautiful yard and variety of plants you have. I hope you will get enough rain to help.
My foot MRI shows a lot of damage to tendon/ligaments, so I'm being referred to Emory Univ. I'll keep you posted.

Patsy said...

I love Spirea, never lived at a place long enough where it looked as good as yours. The fernleaf Peony is different, I like it.