Saturday, August 19, 2017

Saturday's Showing......


The past month's weather was not kind to the petunia.  I am getting some revival blooms but they just are not like the spring blooms.


This mixed colors variety is really pretty but a simple quarter of an inch rain takes them out.  This morning they look like a hurricane had hit them.


I never notice names of petunias but this variety is a tough one through heat and excess rain. It looks like a sturdy plant.


The hosts in the rock gardens are growing.  They don't seem to happy with the rocks around them so I have been brushing back to reveal soil around them.  I lost a couple of them in the rocks but most have survived.  I think they will be stronger next spring having established a better growing base. My two neighbors like to grow rocks so I am sure they think I am crazy planting things in the desert.

We learn new things continually about our new place.  Our door bell shut down at the same time that I shut down the fire alarm system.  The fuse box doesn't say anything about it but the switch apparently controls both door bell and fire alarms.  I had to replace all of the batteries at the same time for five alarms.  They are all tied together as a unit so it is a group requirement to change all the batteries at once. The light of the doorbell lights up when the switch is in the "on" position. It seems simple now.

We had a fourth of an inch of rain last night.  I didn't hear it rain but I did hear the roar of the storm before it hit. I am certain that others in the state got better amounts than we did.  Our grass appreciated a light dampening of its soil.

We are off to the bookstore today.  It really isn't so far to go there but it is on the west edge of the Des Moines Area. We have other errands that need to be done either before or after the bookstore.

We are having a good day with our dog today.  He seems strong in his back legs today and is moving around independently today.  We have two steps to come into the house and human assistance is required but not appreciated. Barney can go down the steps easily. He seems to be pretty healthy otherwise and we have learned to just work with him when needed.



Thanks for checking in on the blog today.

2 comments:

A Colorful World said...

Gorgeous shots of the beautiful blooms! Hope you found something good at the book store.

Far Side of Fifty said...

I am glad to hear Barney is better. Your gardens and flowers are lovely! :) The old house is looking good too, I read a few posts back or maybe this one about the new shingles. I hope you get some relief from your arthritic hands, I know I am hurting with my carpal tunnel crap. :(