Tuesday, August 22, 2017

The Day After.......Full Sun.


The front yard trees are the bradford pear variety.  The branches are so close together that I really could never figure out what birds are in the tree.  I can hear them when I am out with Barney but never really could see what kind of birds were there. The nest is almost too hidden for me to notice all summer.

I know that people are reaching their saturation point of information about the eclipse. I borrowed from one of my former students a photo of his. Adam snapped this between the cloud movements with a special filter to get the actual effects happening to the sun. Most of his photos did look like mine with clouds everywhere and a glow peaking through them. I could tell by the light quality that the sun was being blocked but I never got to see this. There were people from our old town who got on buses or drove cars to Omaha or to Missouri to see the total eclipse. I didn't think about doing that and probably would not have done so if I had thought about it. When I was a kid living on the farm, I did experience a partial eclipse with that same gray light quality.  I guess the big deal now compared to then was that there were no total eclipse event.

Adam's photos all looked like mine which showed that there was a full sun up there, when there really wasn't. The glow is from the spot of light coming from the top of the sun still revealed.









We had two inches of rain. That was a large amount compared to all these  partial quarter of an inch rains that we have been having. I was shocked to see the water in the gauge that high because I was so use to having a trace of water in the bottom of the glass.

The very wet soil now has help encourage the leaning and fall of one of my sunflowers.  I will wait for it to dry out a little more and see if I can stake it up with a steel post I will bring a big post home from the old place today.


I have a goal to get a shot of two birds on the feeder at the same time.  Sometimes they will line up on opposite sides to eat rather than to chase each other.  I have yet to see a hummingbird with a red collar.  I am thinking they are the males with the red collar band.


I am headed northwest this morning to mow some of the yard.  It has been a while and is looking shaggy. I won't mow it all but will make a good cosmetic change of the place. It is cool today this early in the morning but it is clear and sunny today.  I appreciate visitors to the blog and wish every one to have a great day.

3 comments:

A Colorful World said...

Sorry the clouds obscured most of your view of the sun during the eclipse. The borrowed photo is very nice. Oooh, that pear tree...what a nice thing to have! Beautiful flowers, too.

The Furry Gnome said...

Good picture of the eclipse!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Clouds were the story of the Solar Eclipse day for us too. Those Profusion Zinnias just bloom their hearts out. :)