Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Wandering Through Wednesday....


The need to trim the grass in the backyard is shown here. My ceramic tile planter is filled with its vine. The vine is spreading to the ground now and I like it. It will help to keep back the lily of the valley.

The transplanted fern leaf peony is doing well. I think it likes clay soil.  Three blooms for this year and more will bloom next year. I was at the farm yesterday and I still have four plantings there and all are in bloom. The only iris, the first one, is the blue cemetery iris. All of that collection did bloom at different times and I will be able to watch that happen and take second rhizomes if I did not get one from the plants.


I brought more tulips back from the farm and you can see the blue iris that is blooming right now. Once I get that property sold I won’t have the diverse set of colors to pick anymore. I told my wife that I will be working on getting more colors for the new place. I may have to order them online as they local stores really don’t care a good choice for gardeners.

Can you spot the blooms on the tomato plant? It isn’t a great photo and I don’t understand what is causing the strange shadows. I guess it is the screening that I have on the raised bed sides. Yesterday was a good day for the soil to warm up and the top of the soil to dry out.  I would believe the roots of the tomatoes are sprouting down with that kind of warm weather. The plant shown is a husky one as the variety is the cherry tomato and their vines are shorter and thicker. I do remember that I need to get my cages on the plants soon.  I usually wait too late to get them on and have to manipulate and weave the wire cage around oversized plants. They grow so fast once in the ground.



My cottage flower garden has these two sprouting up.  I think it is a lily but I sure don’t remember what the plants are.  Time will tell as they get taller. It may be new ones that I picked up.




I was wondering what bird was relieving itself on this post.  I have visual evidence that the robin is the one.  There are two of these post which held a gate.  The former owner had the area wire fenced in and needed a gate to get in to his vegetables. I am interested to see if I get any volunteer muskmelons this summer. I have turned the garden into the holding spot for all the iris and lilies that I moved to the new place.  I hope I can keep filling it up until it is wall to wall flowers.  On the side will be zinnias which I do need to get planted. There are some day lilies in there as well as some flag iris.

The jury is still out about my planing of sunflowers.  I hesitate to do so but will miss seeing their development and all the photos I could take of them.

Seeing these plants back on the farm in southern Iowa, I would never have thought that I could grow them domestically in a garden.  I didn’t place them there but I did buy the property "lock, stock, and barrel" so they are mine now. I still was shocked to see them this spring, even though I had them come up last spring.

My rest from terming out the flooring of the farm house bathroom will be more grass trimming and mowing the lawn.  I have aches and pains from removing the two layers of square tile and I will just not do that kind of thing today. I hope to get some rest and do some fun things today as the day develops. I am liking this warming up of our state and already I can see that it is getting really hot outside in the afternoon.

My wife and I planted the front yard flower spot in the afternoon and we did not take long to do so.  Barney didn’t want to stay out there with us as he doesn’t like heat. The flowers perked up this morning from yesterday’s planting and that was good to see. Everyone have a good day this Wednesday and thanks for checking in today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

YES jealous blooms on your Tomato already!! :)

Patsy said...

That was fast, tomato's not far behind.It will be hot summer in no time.