Friday, December 28, 2018

Friday’s a Go........


The weather has been churning and changing the past few days.  We were warm enough to get rain and warmer temps.  Then the churning brought it cold air to turn all that moisture into snow. When you have snow on the  backs of your fake geese then you do have the first December snow. We have a new carwash in town being built and they have already installed fake decorative palm trees all along their building.  It would be good for me to get a picture of the dozen or more palm trees in the snow.

That churning in the air gave us a distant view of the cumulus clouds to our southeast.  A local weather guy was out biking and he took pictures of the same cloud formation. That is how I knew what kind of clouds there were as he described them on his Facebook page.

I was planing on checking the old place today but the windchill is just too much for me.  I spent a lot of money on a new furnace for that house so it surely must be doing well on a set 55 degrees.

It isn’t a lot of snow but it is the beginning or winter for us.  We had a heavier snow back in early November but we then warmed up to melt it. It did seem strange to see it when we were first up and Barney doesn’t see we’ll, so the snow confused him.  He did get use to it. I have layers of long sleeved shirts and my winter coat.  I have a pair of oversized warm-up pants to wear on top of my blue jeans.  I certainly am not getting ready to go to the beach with that outfit.
I pulled the old shiny brites and old glass decorations that were sitting in a canning jar.  They helped to decorate around the red pot of the amaryllis. The history of those ornaments go all the way back to hanging on cedar trees that my dad use to cut for our indoor tree. That would have been as late as 1950s to 1970s.  I miss the smell of them in the house but I don’t miss the mess and prickly branches.

This is a good contrasting photo of the indoors with the outdoors. Snow on the deck and grill looks cold compared to the flower inside. I have plans to stay inside all day today.  It just seems to be a good idea with the wind chills being very cold.

I hope everyone is doing well this 28th day of December.  This should be a good day for a creative project for me or maybe just resting.  Thank you for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Good morning.
I agree about missing the real tree smell. I tried bringing some branches, but it didn't help! It's my first year with an artificial tree. My favorite thing is how many more lights it has on it than we ever used.
Nice use of the ornaments. I bought a box of the new Shiny Brites at a thrift store recently, the ones copying their 1940s style. Pretty, but not the same. I did get a nice top ornament out of it though.

Laurel Wood said...

Love the photo of the flower with the snow in the background. Sorry about your wind chill today. We've had about 5 inches of rain in the last 12 hours or so. The creek behind us looks like a waterfall today. I miss the days of live Christmas trees and the fragrance. What a treasure these vintage ornaments are. They look gorgeous in the glass bowl. Hope all is fine at your other home. You both stay warm and safe.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I actually thought these were real Canada Geese! And that you had snapped one with his head buried in the leaves. I am staying inside today too. The cloud picture is beautifully ominous.