Sunday, November 29, 2009

Old windup train.......





This is pathetic looking but I can put new paint on it.  It doesn't have it's wind up key anymore.  The front of it has fallen out and is lost, so all I have is a shell of a memory. I have a blogger friend about my same age that said he also had this same train.  It had a small circle track and had a wind-up key to make it work.




The coal car is in the best shape but it does have some rust on it. This is a thin metal and has been painted with a stencil.  The caboose looks better here that it real is. It is missing one set of wheels.




The other train that I will be sharing is in great shape.  This was a metal, hardware store bargain for the time.  I am sure it was in 1955 that I got it from Santa.
It is going to be another busy day tomorrow so you may never see another blog for a couple of days.  I am getting sick and tired of the project but we have a dead line as a new dining room table and six chairs will be delivered in December.  That is another story, about buying wood furniture, that I will share some day.  Have you ever heard of poplar wood or rubberwood?   Thanks for reading.......

5 comments:

L. D. said...

I just found on the internet that there was a train called the New York Central in 1905. The real train has a smoke stack and a cow catacher.

Alan Burnett said...

That is quite some collection. By sheer chance I was watching a documentary on TV last night about the introduction of electric trains on the New York Central line in the first decade of the twentieth century.

Sunny said...

What a treasure! My Dad was a great train lover and built a model railroad in his basement.
I think Poplar wood is used a lot for paper. Rubberwood is used for galoshes. Ha-ha!
Don't work too hard!
Sunny :)

L. D. said...

You are too funny. I do know the answer but later.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry..Poplar wood is what we call piss wood up here..the fancy people call it Aspen..the correct name would be Populus deltoides. Did you buy a dinette set made from poplar?
That wind up train is just awesome..even if it has parts missing it is still a treasure. Certainly you can fashion some wheels for it. We both really enjoyed these photos..Thanks for sharing:)