Saturday, November 28, 2009

The toy box gets emptied......


 My neighbor was over today having me do some framing jobs for him and the guy was digging through my box.  I haven't even had time to dig through it but he was looking for something for his train collection. I am a nice guy but he was dreaming to think I was going to give him anything out of that box.  Anyway, I took a few things out and shot come pictures after he left.




I shrunk this down as it isn't quite in focus, but time isn't abundant for me right now.  This was a toy given to me one Christmas from my parents, probably in the 60's.  The car doesn't go with the house trailer, as it is gone, but I had a Volkswagen car that looked like it to hold up the trailer.  At the hitch, you can open the bottom of the trailer and I could store the car inside.  I am sure this came from a hardware store as that is all we had in this area that toys would be for sale.




This is a good view of this toy.  You can't see it but there is a cute canopy on the front window.  The car is from another one of my happy collections.  I buy them one at a time as I see them, a couple per year. I think I blogged about my two Cadillacs that I bought a while back.


As a farm boy I was really interested in farm things.  The white plastic sheep is from a small, very cheaply made plastic barn with animals.  I was very young but I remember how hard it was to keep it together as a structure.  The horse and pony is from my second farm set that I received as a Christmas gift.  It was a two story metal barn with horses, cows, sheep and chickens.   There was even a dumpster device for shipping the pretend manure out the side of the barn and a stantion that my cows could stand in to be milked.  The barn is gone for sure and the plastic fences, but I am slowly gleaning the different little farm animals out of different boxes around my parents house.  I may have to make a small barn from wood someday if I get enough of these things back together.   Believe it or not, as a kid, you could open up a Sears and Roebuck cataloge and find in the toy section three different farm sets, and I remember looking at them for hours.  That had to be in the 50's as we still lived in our very old house at that time.
The tractor and wagon is not mine but must have been purchased for my kids to play with when they visited.  I see there is string attached to the hitch as I bet Grandma got tired of helping hook it up to the tractor.  She probably tied it on for one of the guys to make it stay in place.

Gosh I am old.   I will be working on the  rest of the toys and will be getting them cleaned up.  The guy admired my tank car of my train set and thanks be to God that it didn't have a Pennsoil label on it.  I would have had to call the cops to get him out of my house if it had.  The car had Sunco on it and he was very disappointed.  Ok, thanks for reading.........

8 comments:

Unknown said...

If I had that volkswagon it would be hanging on my tree. ;D My husband still has his train set and some of his tractors. Our grandson plays with them now and this week I had to hitch a disk to the tractor but I used a bread sack twistie-tie. ;D

Valerie said...

I should have been born a boy, I'd rather have played with those toys than dolls! I had train with station and a farm, Ooo the hours I spent rearranging those animals ... see what I mean

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I love that old house trailer. We have some of DH's old toys too and they are neat.

FlowerLady

Sunny said...

What fun! Those were the kind of toys I loved to play with. I was a real tomboy, loved trucks and trains...never played much with dolls.
It's so nice that you still have them.
Sunny :)

Ezhilan said...

The old toys from the box and the description are interesting and fun. These toys are special because they carry the pleasant memories of the past with them.

Hilary said...

I have to echo the other women who chimed in. I loved playing with cars as a child. I'd have just been over the moon with these. Great stuff!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, That house trailer is something else..Far Guy and I both enjoyed this post..we love the old toys:)

Linda said...

These are really precious toys. You have to watch other collectors! Oh, I remember the joys of the farm set I had as child, and going to the toyshop to spend my pocket money on some ducks, or a foal, or even a tractor if I'd been saving up.