Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Rose hips and sevice buildings......

that doesn't make much of dual, but at our last stop on Mr. Dessert Island in Maine, we stopped to see a lighthouse. While there I shot photos of this service building.




You can see it is constructed of brick that looks very aged. I like the architectural detail on the roof eaves. Crown moldings, fascias, and smaller decorative molding. I am assuming that it is authentic and it is just been well cared for being in Maine.










Down below the service building we walked towards the ocean and saw the lighthouse. Right next to the area was this large rosebush. It has to be a tough rose. It reminds me of the wild rose of Minnesota and Iowa, but it looked like the rose hips were much larger. So, it must be there wild rose of the north. It sets right on the ocean shore so it would be a good one to survive Iowa winters.




I thought I had a photo of the rose itself, but I had to go to my son's Picasa and steal one from his album. Now that I see the rose, it is somewhat like our wild rose here in the Midwest.



Thanks for reading....

2 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

A lovely old building, I might add. I thought at first the roof was slate, but maybe not ?
I used to drink Rose-hips as a child, a way of warding off colds and sickness.
Lovely colors.

L. D. said...

Yes it is slate, I really hadn't noticed until you pointed it out for me. You can see how some of the plates are worn and sections on the edge have parts broken from them.