Saturday, November 7, 2009

A Rose Rescue.....need some help here...

well it isn't really a rescue, as I wanted to move this rose from my parent's home to my house an hour north, just in case I get the property sold over the winter months.




As you can see, it blooms well as photographed earlier this summer. It was planted by me on the south side of my parents house, so it was on the protected side of the house each winter. I planted it many years ago for my mom, and it has been too long to ever remember the name of the rose or where I bought it.





It bloomed many times over the summer after I cleaned out all the weeds and volunteer Chinese elm trees.





When I dug it, the ground was very dry and the soil seemed to be a powdery foundation soil. I had a lot of problems again because of the Chinese elm tree roots, but I used a small spade and a fork tool.





It came out after I removed a huge amount of soil but you can see that I did cut off the points of it. I don't know how deep rose roots grow, but it being in a dry location most of the year makes me think it grew deep for water.





I couldn't find my clippers in the back of my car trunk but I found wire clippers in dad's garage so I cut the dead and live canes. It has some serious dead canes.





Ok, now I have question for everybody. I wrapped the roots after digging it with a dish towel soaked with water. When I got home I put this into a large pot, and filled it up with my garden soil. The soil is very black and it was damp, much wetter that the soil I took it out of down south. The soil is not packed but I did give it a drink of water today.
I had two thoughts about this. I could have planted it into the ground, but despite warm weather, I don't think the week of warmth is going to give it time to root out for the winter. We could have snow in a week or so. I did leave it out since we are mild, but do I leave it out. Do I bury the pot in the soil outside, or do I bring it into my cool dark basement? My basement is not very warm. I know that I don't want to over water it as the roots will rot, but I do think that I should keep it somewhat wet for root develop.
Ok, you true gardener's out there, give me your thoughts. Remember I am not a Southern garden site, but maybe you know what the behaviors of the plant are. I can also set it next to the lighted fish tank down there, but that isn't much light. Do I need to cut down shorter. I think that when mom cared for it that she trimmed it to the ground.
As you can see this is worth moving and I know it is the wrong time of the year so any suggestions will be appreciated. Don't hesitate to give different advice, people as we all have different viewpoints. Thanks for your answers.

4 comments:

Jimmy said...

Larry, Your rose appears to be a hybrid perpetual of some type. Did you say it climbed?????? Where are you going to store the pot it is in over winter?

L. D. said...

I may go ahead and put it in the basement. I am concerned that it will rot it if I over water it but maybe can keep it damp. I guess if we go into a freeze and if it were planted outside would it survive the winter, being it is so late.

The Retired One said...

I wish I could help, but I have no idea.
Maybe if you could call your local nursery and ask them, they will tell you....??

Far Side of Fifty said...

It needs about ten days or two weeks to root in before a hard freeze. Are you going to plant it next to your house? I think I would plant it someplace in a location similar to where it came from..same light and protection from winds etc..
I guess I would plant it and hope I got some roots.. you could pile some extra leaves over it to keep the ground warmer longer. OR take it to the basement. I used to overwinter Roses in big pots from one year to the other, we trimmed them back, layed them on their sides and covered them with leaves, then a special white insulation blanket..more leaves and a tarp..and baited for mice..BUT..those roses all had great root systems too. It is a beautiful rose..I do hope you are able to save it!:)