Monday, January 25, 2010

A carver's delight......



Last summer at the State Fair we visited the Fair's art exhibit.  One of the divisions is wood sculpture.


This is an amazing table with the decorative carved scene that circles the entire table.  It is an art piece first but could be used as an entry table. I believe that the person used different kinds of woods to get the different colors. I don't think the birch trees could be real as birch branches that small have not turned to a white color as they are deep burgundy in color, almost black. I will have to go out and look at my tree.

I wanted everyone to see this as it is an creation.  I especially wanted my blogger friend at The Midnight Carver to see it.  He carves sculptures from trunks of trees and other things.

It is Monday and I am still adjusting to being retired. I have too many interests to stay focused on one thing.  I either will build today or paint.  We will see what happens. Thanks for stopping by.......

7 comments:

Hilary said...

Wow.. that's just incredibly beautiful. Such detail.

Sunny said...

What a fantastic table, the detail is incredible. I admire the person's skill to create such a wonderful wood sculpture.
Sunny :)

Unknown said...

That is some amazing work! Thanks for sharing!

Rae said...

What an awesome table. I can't begin to imagine the time and work that went into it. It had to be a labor of love. The sculptor has incredible skill.
Just wanted to say thanks for the nice comments on my blog posts. I really appreciate them. FYI - that river in my photo header is about 5 minutes from where I live. I took the picture out of a car window going 65 mph. I was surprised it wasn't a big blur. It turned out to be a nice surprise.

The Retired One said...

OMG..that table is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen....
it would look fabulous in our log home. !!! Ha

Far Side of Fifty said...

Uffda what a talented Artist he was..I agree the little birch twigs do not look like that.. it is a stunning piece.:)

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Wow! Thanks for posting this! It's truely inspiring to seee what carvings those furniture makers can incorporate into their creations. I've see entire scenes carved out in coffee tables ( river bed with trout swimming. all differant color woods) Check out this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPudEqzrF8g


Hope it works.. never posted a link in a comment