Thursday, May 17, 2012

Geranium Truths.........

Pelargonium

The other geranium is not really called a geranium.  It is actually called pelargonium.  I read an article about them in a Garden Design magazine.  I realized that the geranium that is sold so often at greenhouses should be labeled hardy geranium. I have this plant in a couple of locations and it does put out a meager show where I have them planted. This plant winters over in Iowa outside in the garden.


The leaf is a similar shape to the hardy geranium and yet is is a fancier shape.


 Hardy Geranium

I need to get this plant out side and into a planter.  I have a white one that also is in this same pot.

The borrowed article from wikipedi is posted below sharing the info for us.

Confusingly, "geranium" is also the common name of members of the genus Pelargonium (commonly known as 'storksbill' in distinction from 'cranesbill'), which are also in the Geraniaceae family. Linnaeus originally included all the species in one genus, Geranium, but they were later separated into two genera by Charles L’Héritier in 1789.
Gardeners and the horticultural trade often refer to true geraniums as "hardy geraniums", to distinguish them from the less hardy pelargoniums (generally grown as annuals in temperate climes), and most garden "geraniums" (without the 'hardy' appellation) are in fact pelargoniums (storksbills), as opposed to true geraniums (cranesbills).

This is as creative as I will be today.  I have a busy next four days.  Today I am a high school health instructor.  They are taking students off to a state track meet today.  I have been blessed to take all of the  fish in the science lab home for the summer. There will be pictures once I get the outside tank ready to go and the fish are all settled.

Thanks for stopping by my post today.



3 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I always thought that what we call "geraniums" are really Pelargonium..I used to have to buy Pelargonium seed for the colorful headed variety that everyone loves. I call the Perennial Geranium with the little bit different leaves and blooms singly and cranesbills a true geranium. Sometimes the plant world can be very confusing:)

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

I have the same hardy geranium. It has the sweetest blooms.

Patsy said...

I didn't know that, it is just a house plant for summer here.