Thursday, May 3, 2012

Thursday's Things....



My pink wiegela is blooming profusely because of the rains.  It has more blooms than I was expecting because of the freeze. Can you see the freeze damage?



A blurry picture of something exciting.  My wife had told me she was watching a mother cardinal bring a young one to the feeder.  Last evening in low light I sort of captured it.  It is proof that we have youngster cardinals.  Yesterday afternoon I received mail from my wife saying there were two of them at the feeder and no adults.  I suppose they are about to be left on their own now.  This is the first time ever I have seen cardinal young.



The discussion at the noon lunch time at school was how we had hostas the are larger in size now that they normally ever have been during a normal spring.  We decided that we experienced what it was like if we were in a couple of growth zones further south.  The 80 degree weather in March is what brought this to happen.


A future project that needs to be done is seen before you.  I am dreading it but it is time.  The red tree is planted too close to the pear tree.  It doesn't straighten even though I have pruned back the pear tree.  The work involved to move the red tree is digging out two different roses, a peony bush, many daffodil bulbs and maybe even a hosta.  I know I have seen Roger on "Ask This Old House" dig up and move things.  The problem is, he does have a hearty, strong crew in the background or on camera helping with the work. From what I have seen him do I don't have to take all of the roots and I will need to prune it back on top some after it is moved.

I should really move it in the next few weeks so I can beat the heat.  I don't know where I am going to plant it.  I will have to water it a lot just to get it to work. Maybe I will move it ten feet towards the camera which would look like good spacing and would allow it to grow straight with the proper amount of light.  I guess I need to walk the estate and see where a nice accent tree could be placed. Did I mention that I am dreading this project???

I promise to find the name of the tree by the time I move it.  It is buried in my blogs a couple years back and it does have a name.  The small flowers in spring are neat that it puts out each year.

I am subbing for many people today.  It is an ok think.  I am not bubbly about it, as moving from to room to room gets to be unnerving.  The entire high school is off to see a movie that shares it's thoughts about bullying.

Thanks for stopping by my post today.


4 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, looking at the photo of the cardinals, it looks like you have an adult male and female shown. Not sure that there is a young cardinal in that shot.

L. D. said...

The female is a small bird. She hasn't developed any top notch and her feathers are still not fully developed. We had two of these out there and my wife thinks one of them will be an adult male.

Far Side of Fifty said...

That is a big tree to move..red leaves in spring is it a Shubert Cherry or a Thunderchild Crab? You will have to trim it back quite a ways for it to survive the transplant. I can understand why you are dreading that project...are you sure some high school kids don't need some digging up a tree lessons:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry Forgot to say I am very envious of your Cardinals!! :)