Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Greenwood Tree.......




Those who have followed me a long time can just click off of here if your are tired of the old man teacup story.   The rest of you I will share about finding a plate, a dessert plate, at a flea market in Silver Bay, Minnesota.  I bought it for fifty cents because the decoration on the plate was so neat.  I later found out it was bone china from England and it made the plate a mystery of how or who would own dishes like this in northern Minnesota.  The stencil design was a fascination to me as it was created to look hand painted. I think it is a part of my hoarding addiction that caused me to buy it in the first place.  I like the art part of it for sure.

A few years later I did an eBay search just to see what was out there and I found people and businesses selling the china one piece at a time.   The cup was a sissy like thing but I thought it would be neat to own the cup and saucer of it along with the dessert plate that I already had.  The hoarding thing again I am sure. It cost me more than fifty cents for those two pieces.

As I was messing around the buffet putting Christmas things away, I decided to take one more shot of the painted scenes.  This time around I realized the stencil transfers are not the same.  They are reversed in composition and also they are not the same landscape.  I won't buy any more of it and in fact, as the prices keep rising on them, I might resell the three of them for the big prices I see on eBay.

I am an English teacher today.  Reading from books to the kids and having them do quizes or journaling.  The kids like it when the teacher is away so my challenge is to keep some serious pace of learning going on throughout the day. Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

That beautiful teacup and saucer is an old vintage pattern, you are a lucky duck finding it for next to nothing !
Enjoy your teaching day today.
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

I still like that scene on the cup and saucer..it is a beautiful piece..even if I have seen it before..something must be revisited:)

Anonymous said...

I love the sweet pattern. Takes me back to childhood and grandma's garden.