Tuesday, January 15, 2013

New Blooms......



The Thanksgiving cactus was in a plastic pot of dirt with five different sprigs of it randomly stuck into the soil.  I am sure it was a factory like process that created it on a conveyer belt with people poking them in to fill each pot from all the cuttings.

It was in bloom a year ago when I bought it.  It bloomed again on it's own about three months ago and now it has two sprigs that are blooming again.  I still have not replanted it into the clay pot as it seems to always be in bloom.  I don't want to repot while it is blooming.




It really is an unusual plant but I have enjoyed it's inconsistently blooming for me. It would never survive our outside temperatures and I really don't know where it grows naturally.  I guess I need to google that sometime.



On my Photo a Day blog I posted two other shots of the little ornaments in their boxes being readied to take back to the basement.  I have three medium boxes of them and used great restraint not to buy more this year.  I saw a set that were pretty cheap looking so it was easy to walk away.  I really didn't see many of that style of ornament in the market any more.  I do look everywhere I go and I don't see them selling them.

Another day at school today.  It has warmed up a little compared to Monday.  The air was so cold and it is about ten degrees warmer today.  We will warm up to below freezing but that seems warm when the windchill is below 0 degrees F.

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy New Year, Larry. The cactus is pretty even if Christmas is past. I have never had one but always amazed at how these plants know when it's their time to bloom.

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Hello! Catching up on posts. Yea on the Christmas cactus. They like to be root bound to bloom the best so don't get in a rush to repot it.
I like your box of ornaments. My mother-in-law likes the glass ornaments and we often buy her one or two each year for her tree. We found a little shop with some beautiful ones this year. I don't remember the company that made them however.