Saturday, October 19, 2013

Iowa Corn Patch........


We actually call them corn fields but I am assuming that when they had small areas of corn or sweetcorn that they called it a patch.  This field across the field is 13 acres which does make it a patch.  A farmer south of us farms over a thousand acres.


I also blogged about the corn on my photo a day post today.  There are two ears on most stalks.  I saw a guy yesterday at Menards pay five bucks for four stalks without corn to be used as a decoration at his house. Cornstalks and pumpkins and squash make good fall decorations.  Dried up corn stalks are profitable in that venue for sure.  The farmer who rents this land baled up the stalks to sell for bedding to other farmers last year.  We will wait and see if he does it again this year.



While out next to the cornfield I discovered the wild morning glories were still blooming.  They looked a little peaked from the cold weather and wind. This is a good shot to show you how black our soil is here in Iowa. You can also see that a few weeds still survive in spite of all the chemicals they use on the field.

We are colder today than yesterday.  We are promised a hard freeze at night maybe Tuesday and Wednesday.  That means anything left out, plants and fruit on the trees will be killed.  I will go out Sunday afternoon and pick the last of my green tomatoes and they can ripen on the window sill. 

Thanks for stopping by this Saturday.  I hope you all have a good weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

13 acres seems big to me, but 1,000 is huge!
I am envious of your soil. You should see our heavy red clay some time.

Have a nice day.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Love looking at those corn fields, they speak "Fall"...
The Morning Glories are so pretty, such a beautiful color.
~Jo