Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Torpedos.........


I dug around in my junk shelves and found another torpedo shaped canning jar.  I have a set of shiny brites that are somewhat damaged with flaking colors that I wanted to bring up from the basement.  I thought it would be good to find another jar in which to put them. The photo doesn't let you interrupt its size but I believe it is a quart sized jar.

When my dad tore down an old abandon house he also took down an old Model T garage.  He didn't have a use for it as he had a two car garage and it was too narrow for a modern car.  Inside that old garage were a lot of those torpedo jars along with the glass topped lidded ones.  I found some of them in the two car garage when I closed down the estate. My parents moved them to the new garage.  Some still had spoiled food in them and most of them fortunately were empty. I am sure they gave a lot of them away but there were glass lidded one in the house for my mom's plastic flowers and I of course kept them.  I think I still have one of the jars with the plastic flowers still in them.






I am not versed on the sizes of these containers so a blogger friend out there will have to help me out with this.  I think maybe the small one must be a quart sized jar and the next size is a two quart size.  I will wait for others to tell me as I don't want to empty the larger one and do the water comparison test.  I will get to the filling of the empty jar soon and maybe will take another photo.





During the summer I found this tossed in the garbage.  I don't know who's garbage but I couldn't let it go to the landfill.  I actually had picked up the book at a bookstore to look at it.  I like to look at illustrations of kids books and I like the pirate theme.   It is a cute book of a girl that tells the story about going to pirate school to learn how to be a great pirate.





As you can see that it is a fun book.  The one pirate is being pulled in the water on his skis. The little girl is in the water in the foreground.  She learns various things about being a pirate including the sounds they make. I guess it was suppose to be like a pirate summer camp.












The little girl, Maisy Pickles, does graduate from her school and she is well pleased.  I will have to share the book with my grandson some day probably in four or five years.











I will need to venture out and fill the feeders again today.  It was -9 this morning but the wind has stopped. We will warm up to 14 degrees F.  which will seem warm after what we have experienced. I didn't get called in today so I will be busy doing all those odd jobs that I still don't have done.  I can't do anything with the sidewalks as the day we had melting created water puddles.  Now with the deep cold my side walls are like frozen rivers or lakes.
 
Thanks for stopping by today and do stay warm and safe.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Not sure..but 1 Quart and 2 quarts sounds about right..I recently gave a torpedo to my youngest daughter. :)

Anonymous said...

I love the jar and the ornaments look great.
That's a great book you recovered from the trash. I imagine AJ will share your love of books one day.
Snow/ice here today!