Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Middle of the Week.........


I had forgotten that I had this daylily.  It was planted on the end of a wild rose flower bed.  Under the roses, daylilies had spread but they never bloomed. The wild rose shaded them out so they didn't get enough sun. I had assumed all of the lilies there were of the common yellow variety that I have planted everywhere.  When the dry season and the cold winter froze out most of the roses, the lilies had a reprieve and they get to bloom this year.  This lily was purchased at our state arboretum quite a few years back when we use to go to their summer plant sale.  I would have to dig in my blog archives to see when it had last bloomed.  It probably shown itself four or five years ago.  I will either keep the roses down this year or move the lily.


It is nice to see butterflies this year. I did see a yellow swallow earlier this spring but I didn't have the camera.  They will like my two patches of zinnias that are growing right now and then I can get some good butterfly shots.


I had to get use to seeing orange petunias but I really do like them.  I saw they are going on a good sale as Walmart is trying to clear a lot of their plants.  I resisted as these are doing fine in giving me a good display of flowers.  You can see all the past blooms that have passed in the photo as well as all the new buds ready to bloom. They became too wet again with our big rains so I have the sauce taken out from under the pot so the moisture can drain away and allow the soil to be more normal.

This is a hardy daylily with so many blooms coming open at the same time.  They don't always bloom in groups so I have keep taking shots of it when they get close for a group shot.

I will mow the yard this morning and I will have to wear warm clothes. I like that it cools down but wearing long sleeves seems strange when it comes to mowing in the summer. We will be in the low 80's the next few days and that will be nice.

I spent yesterday at school helping rehang doors that had been spray painted with a new shiny color.  The doors are a two man job and it was a lot of weight lifting for the whole day.  It was good to see the doors back on some of the rooms and today another guy will be lifting them and I hope they will be done by tomorrow when I go back in to work.  Weight lifting is touted as being good for the body but that is considered something you do for a half hour routine.  I am a little sore today but it was a good workout.  It makes push mowing seem like easy work. There were almost 100 doors taken off their hinges and there are a third of them yet to be painted.

I have my two roses and three privets to get into the ground today.  I will start thinking about the plants that I can move into the newer garden space that I created by cutting down the juniper shrub.  I have the pots sitting in the area so I can visualize what it would like being planted.  I hate to commit to planting and then not like what I did but I guess I am good at digging things up and moving them anyway.  I want to put some peonies and iris in the area and leave an area for annuals. We will see how it all turns out as I get started on it.

I hope people are getting back to a more normal weather cycle by now.  It has been an interesting thing to watch everywhere in the nation being a little off the normal temperature and moisture. I do know that it does balance itself out in time.  Thanks for stopping by today.

3 comments:

Patsy said...

Oh! I like your orange petunias, have not seen this color in a petunia very nice. You have a big day planed. We are hot and very humid glad you will have it cool. Bennie cut the yard and he looked like he had jumped in a pool of water.

Anonymous said...

We have enjoyed seeing a few butterflies too. I love all your daylilies. So happy these are blooming for you this year.
Those orange petunias are very unique and I love the color.
You talking about painting/hanging doors...the guy who put in the vinyl floor here at our new house took all the newly painted doors off the hinges and placed them one upon the other and all the paint came off where they touched! The painters had to come back, sand and repaint them!!!!!
We are dry and hot and will probably water tomorrow.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Love that orange petunia! Your flowers are doing great! :)