Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday's Thoughts......


My friend Bernie gave me this daylily a few  years back.  I rescued this pathetic set of roots from under the spreading juniper, moved it to another open area and in just one season I have great flowers. Bernard and his wife are good friends of ours who we don't see often enough.  He went through school with me through high school graduation and then we sort of lost track.  About eight years ago we ran into each other at the daylily sale up near a small town of Luther.  It was at the arboretum at their yearly sale of lilies.  Since then we do keep track of each other but life does seem to be too busy to see them often. I always call it Bernie's blooms.



A partial victim of our two dry summers is this Asiatic lily.  I have a total of three buds this year to bloom.  I use to have to tie them up from the weight of all the blooms.  There was another lily planted next to them that is not alive anymore.  This is not a tiger lily but its spots makes one think that it is.  The volunteer mulberry tree makes great greenery filler for the photo.  I have to hit that garden area again to eliminate the non flowers.





A project that is in the making is to restore this windmill base.  My dad made these many years ago and this one of the two that I have has rotted at the bottom.  Instead or replacing the one leg I am thinking about cutting the four legs down to a shorter length.  I use it as a tower more than a windmill. 

The blades for it are in my basement in pieces and I don't think I will ever get that back together.  I almost put this in the burn pile but I will give one more chance to be.  Yes, paint will be included and it may be blue as that is the kind of paint that I have on  hand. My other windmill towers sits at the back of the house and it too needs to be painted.

This particular hosta is a late bloomer compared to all the others that I have.  It is just starting to open its flowers.

I am not working at school anymore as a janitor so my day is partially mine.  I have a lot to things to get caught up on.  The world will not stop if I don't do them but there are things I would like to get done before winter sets in again.

I will finish the rest of my mowing this morning.  It is so cold that I am debating whether to dress for the cold or just go for it and hope my body warms up from pushing a mower.

The weeds around the flowers are calling to me and I have yet to start taking down a forsythia bush and the dead redbud tree.  It is time to go and get to work.  Thanks for reading my many words and viewing the photos.  I have turned into a flower blog right now as that is what is happening.   Take care everyone.

1 comment:

The Furry Gnome said...

Sounds just like life here some days - the weeds calling all the time. Just finished severely pruning a group of invasive forsythia bushes. But lots of little landscaping projects left to do. And we had it cold and windy today too.