Monday, September 7, 2015

Monday's Moments........


I has been very hot and humid all week.  Today it is still humid but the temps will drop 10 degrees.  We needed to feel like summer but things are changing fast.  We had a strong wind a couple of days ago with all that heat.  As I was out in it, the leaves were falling from many of the trees and shrubs. It isn't a lot of leaves and yet it does look like a fall day when it does that.


The multi petal zinnia is a little different in color than the single petal flower above it.  The colors are so much like a warm summer to fall color.  I like how the small pink flower is peaking in on the photo.

I put my finish on the frame a couple of days ago. I haven't blogged about how I don't like this newly recreated product.  I use to put on a coat of this minwax  product with stain and finish all in one.  It worked so great.  Now the product is too light and afterwards you let the first coat dry out you then nave to put on another coat to darken it.  That second coat is not good as one is putting it on an already sealed board.  I wish they would go back and make the walnut finish look like a medium to dark walnut when the first coat goes on, Polyshades should have told me that there are going to be problems.



Once it has completely dried I take a fine steel wool and rub on a wax paste onto the wood.  The steel wool will take off the bumps left from the second coat going onto the first coat.  The paste wax covers a lot of problems with finishes.  I used it the other day on the recycled shelf I found in the garbage.  The wax is considered a finish itself if you put a number of coats of it on your wood.  I have used it on a wooden cedar box and it seemed to seal the wood nicely. Polishing wax on wood is a fun thing to do.  I plan to do it to the top of our old oak kitchen table rather than strip it and starting over with a new sealer.




I worked with  a guy at school during ths summers and he told me he was getting bees. That was a few years back.

Gordie's bees have saved my fruit trees.  He is actually only four blocks away, west as the  crow flies. I have mentioned probably too often as I have way too many apples.  The bees covering my sedum blooms this year are his honey bees.

I am amazed as to how they get out so early in the spring to collect nectar.  This fall they seem to be starving for food as they cover the sedum blooms that I have planted all over the property. They are still trying to get to the coneflowers but they seem to be almost to far gone to have nectar.  I think he has three hives now.  He claimed that he had to feed them early spring as he didn't think they were going out for food.


The burning bush shows me that fall is around the corner as its leaves are one of the first to change.  In our dry time the past few years the leaves just fell to the ground never to change color.  The berries look larger this year. 

I hope everyone is having a good day.  We don't celebrate but we appreciate having a free day. It stormed last night a lot of the night. We had downpours of rain.  Some rivers in our area did flood over main highways.  We had a lot of lightening strikes, one very close, and that hasn't been happening most of the summer.  It of course means I need to mow the lawn.  Maybe I will do that tomorrow as it is predicted to be cooler tomorrow.   Thank you for stopping by today.  Everyone take good care of yourselves.

1 comment:

KathyB. said...

Your garden flowers are so pretty and yes, it does look like Fall there. The red leaf tree is bright, and I think your picture frame is turning out very nicely !

My husband's bees require feeding in the spring too, there is usually very little food for them in our area in spring time. Does your neighbor share his honey with you ?