Saturday, September 12, 2015

Saturday's Stuff......


The porch vines of morning glories bloomed yesterday for the very first time.  The vines out at the garden shed also bloom on the very same day.  I can't believe that cool weather makes it happen but they both came out and they both are the exact same color or red.



 When I saw the one on the back porch in bloom yesterday afternoon I got the camera and took photos.  They were in decline but they were red and not pink like all my others.  I walked out to the garden shed thinking that the left vine on the trellis probably will never bloom.  I was surprised to see that it had.  I did water both of them on Wednesday as their soil seemed dry.

These blooms will never compare to the ones that I have seen recently in blogs blooming in Minnesota Far Side and also in Tennessee, Brit from Tennessee. Their colors were purple and another was a deep blue.  The numbers of blooms on mine seem few but I at least I get to see them bloom before the first frost.




The project is done and I do believe we are going to keep it.  It will require major moving of some furniture to get it into the blend of things. I like that the shelf was made from a high grade of wood and that it has good design.  I have learned to toss things that are made from bad wood or don't pick them up for recycle in the first place.






 It is time to share the bay window shot again.  I haven't taken photos of it much lately but when the birch leaves turn yellow the bay does get included in the shot.  I made the brackets myself based on a design of an old set that I own from an old house.  Sears use to sell brackets out of catalogs many years ago and you could buy them and decorate any eave of you house in which they would fit.






We are having some interesting clouds this time of the year.  Our sunrises are wonderful but I don't live in a clear spot to take any shots of the sun coming up in the morning.  I was looking at all my up looking sky shots and everyone has evidence of some power line or a pole.








Not to make the pink morning glories seem less important, I do have a shot of them blooming along side of the red ones.  I am still in amazement that they do so well in our very cold weather.  We were in the low 40's F. this morning and the furnace did turn on to take away the chill.

We watched an interesting Dateline television show last night that was taped near here.  We had heard of the murder but not much was ever released about the details.  As we watched the show we saw all the areas where dozens of police searched and found things along our highway 141.  The murder took place in Grimes a few blocks near where we were married many years ago.  The whole story is filled with loop holes as much planning was involved for the criminal. He set up false evidence to blame others for the crime. It was strange to see on a national broadcast the areas of where we live and travel regularly. 

The law did a great job of releasing little info at the time of what was going on in the investigation.  In fact we heard of the killing and the story that was leaked was false at the time. All the behind the scene stuff was extensive and the show did a good job of revealing it. The true murderer was caught and he incriminated himself by leaving fingerprints on the batteries of a flashlight.  He is in jail, plead insanity and lost. He is in jail for life.

I peeled apple yesterday and my wife threw together ingredients of apple cobbler.  I gave a sack full away yesterday to a lady picking up her framing.  I asked her if she wanted some cooking apples and she didn't want to pick any.  She gladly took the sack full I had picked for her. They are dropping faster than I can pick them up but I am staying on the job. 

We have no plans today but we have things we can do.   It will warm up by noon hopefully and I can get outside.  We do try to treat Saturday as a day off even though I have had the whole summer off.  I do have work for a half day on Monday.  I hope all are well and that our land will warm up again for a little bit longer.  I wish everyone to have a good weekend.  Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Your Morning Glory flowers are such a pretty shade of pink, I've only grown the blue and purple, and the purple come back on their own each year.
Thank you for the sweet mention, maybe I can share their beauty.
We love fall apples, but sadly have no fruit trees of our own, but the neighbors have a pear tree and I love that they share with us.
I've always loved that bay window, such timeless architecture.
Have a wonderful weekend Larry !
~Jo

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Morning Glories are beautiful! That book case turned out really nice...it was a good save:)