Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Sunday Times......


It is not an easy color to name.  As the flowers here age, they keep turning into another blended sets of colors.

To share the clouds as well as the blue spruce, I shot upwards with the camera. The pinecones at the top of the tree are hanging on tightly.

A neighbor told me that when this tree was planted by a former owner that three others were also planted.  The grandchildren kept mowing them off on him and this one they seem to be left alone.
I am not ready for winter yet.  I will be glad to see how this tree looks with a snowfall on it.  By the time the snow falls, most all of those birds in the tree will be migrating south.

Speaking of migrating, I have now seen two different flocks of pelicans in the air.  A couple of days ago my wife and I saw a large flock of birds over the city.  The fly up in a scrambled formation but I do see that when they are serious about heading south that they do get into some sets of lines.  As a kid on the farm we would see one pelican or one heron land on our farm pond and that was the major talk on the farm for some time.  It was so rare to see them in south central Iowa.

Our front planter area has lots of things growing there from our former owner. This particular started showing the grouping and I sort of ignored it.  I probably would have pulled it as a weed but life got really busy.  Three days ago, I was out with the dog and noticed it is an aster.  That was a great surprise and I am glad that I had not pulled it out of there. I am pulling a few weeds out of there but I recognize them elsewhere as weeds. Now that I know that this area was a farm field I understand why some of the weeds pop up in the yard.


I wasn't going to share this shot but I will now.  I had bought five bags of dirt to fill in the indention in the yard.  I lived here long enough to realize it was not naturally landscaped that way.  Doug, the neighbor, said it was the settling from where the water pipes had been put in thirteen years ago.  The first batch didn't help as it was still too low. I went back and bought six more bags of dirt. It still isn't quit level but with grass growing on it that will make it seem lest like a valley in the yard. If I choose to perfect it some time I will hire someone to do the whole valley with top soil and have them put sod on top of it.  Right now this seems to be a good fix. I do hope the pass seed starts to germinate.



As I watch the hurricane coverage this morning, I am hoping all have found some safe place to be. The different weather models really help them predict things but the models are not perfect. I see that the travel of the storm on the west will effect people I know up and down the gulf side. I hope they did prepare for it.

Have a good Sunday and thanks for stopping by at my posting.

2 comments:

A Colorful World said...

Beautiful flowers and tree. Hope you have a great week.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Your Zinnia is lovely, I recall one Zinnia called sunset?? You are a landscaper! (But it looks a little like a grave)