Saturday, October 21, 2017

Random Shootings.....


Shooting shots out the side window of the truck gives me a chance to share what I see as I drive to the old place.  I don't use a view finder but just hold my arm out and press the button.  They are one handed shots so there is no chance to think level.  Some blind shots don't make it to the blog.  This cemetery sits on the west bank of the Lake Saylorville.  When the lake was being built it was not unusual to see trucks carrying vaults from a cemetery that was in the valley below this area.  I really don't know where that cemetery was but I do remember seeing them transport them as I drove between Granger to Woodward. I suppose families would have to be contacted and a new cemetery would have to be selected to rebury the dead.


In order to get onto Highway 141, I turn from the road above and yield down onto the road and go under the bridge.  At one in the afternoon you can see me traveling on the bridge in the white Tundra head to our new home. When I first move here this bridge was not build and the road that connects to the mile long bridge was accessed through the town of Granger.


The soybean field has been harvested in the foreground and you can see the cornfield that has yet to be picked.  Picked is the old fashion word for todays word of combined. Some of those combines can pick 12 rows at a time. It keeps the tractor and wagons busy picking up the corn and putting it into trucks.


Back at the bridge you can see bayou areas that have developed because of the flooding of a too full lake. When the dam has backed up large volumes of water  and the lake edge is up to the trees line.  The cemetery that I shared in the first photo is actually up ahead beyond this road that you see in the distance.

As you drive into Woodward, this is the common sight. The silos are leftovers from the time when Iowa farmers could feed out cattle for slaughter. The big cattle yards out west shut the local farmers business down so the silos sit unused. When I moved to this town in 1976, the farmer on the edge of town was already not using this for a feeding operation. Today there are still cattle roaming the pasture surrounding the area but it is for cows to have their calves in early spring.  The calves are eventually sold and the cycle continues for another season.

On Friday this morning glory struggled to put out three blooms while its vine has started to fail. Weather and light keeps changing and I suspect I can put this all away for another year.

As winter sets in, my outside work will stop.  That is why I have to hustle to get the last of the dogwoods shrub trimmed back and rake leaves up until it snows.  I don't know the cycle of it all that needs to be done but I think I can figure it out.  Tilling of the garden area next to the iris will probably be done before the snows but other things I will do when there is a need.  I do know my garden shed is a mess and that will have to be reorganized so I can get everything in to it.

We have a warm day today with a promise of storms coming from Kansas and Missouri.  It should be an active storm by early evening.  I trust everyone is doing well. Thanks for stopping by today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Thanks for the tour. It is fun to see what you see along the way!
Have a good Sunday! :)