Saturday, August 12, 2023

Green Grass...


 I mowed the front yard this morning.  It wasn't so hot and the grass under the locust tree was getting tall.  When I took a rest afterwards I mowed the back yard also.  This is the first time that I have been able to mow the entire yard in one day in four years.   I hired it done for two years in the middle of all that time. I am tired but I did it. 

 


 

 Both of my neighbors mowed their yards in a diagonal pattern.  I do every once in a while but I also mow mine in a contour pattern.  It matches the front raised stone garden next to the house.  I also like to do it because it reminds me of my dad's work as a farmer as he would plant things in contour patterns around his hilly southern farm fields.  Mowing it this way is my protest against trying to make it look like a football field or gold course.



My front yard flower bed is looking so bad.  The petunias seem to have gone dormant and this hardy geranium has one single bloom.  I stopped watering as we did get some rain but I guess I should have kept watering things. 



It was time to pick new zinnias for indoor bouquets.  I have two sprigs of glads blooming again.  The glads are not doing well as I have only had three stems of flowers from the dozens of bulbs that I have planted. 




It is nice to be able to view the garden flowers up close even though I do go out and see them daily. I keep seeing butterflies and a goldfinch eating at the zinnias but I never have the timing right to do it.  My wife would think it rude if I left the supper table to go take a butterfly photo. 

Thanks for stopping by today.

 



2 comments:

Dolly said...

That bottom photo is amazing.......are those Gladioli? I've never seen that coloration ! My flowers succumbed mostly to July's heat. We're getting plenty of rain now, but it's Crape Myrtle and Jerusalem Artichoke's time to shine now in my yard.

I get what you're saying about the mowing. I have an acre and a third, and using a self-propelled walk-behind mower, I generally have to do the front yard one day and the back another. I admit that I tend to let the backyard go longer due to it being 'hidden', and the fact that moss is overtaking a good portion of it making it difficult to tell where I've mowed and where I haven't.

But I've let a week go by, with rain, this time, and the bit of backyard that I mowed is trying to catch up with the part that I neglected ! Better get after that, but you know me........I'd rather be sewing/quilting !

Your place always looks nice. I'm glad that you're able to do some more yourself again.

Far Side of Fifty said...

There is no rhyme or reason how I mow, but it is a rider so I would have mowing marks all over. I would flunk golf courses or sports fields:)