Friday, December 11, 2015
Final Day of the Week..........
Just the lights are on the tree at this point. The parts of the tree were put together during commercials between tv shows. The tree is easy but the color markings on the limbs are wearing off. We have had the tree for so many years that we are going to have to buy colored tapes and remark them all.
The new tree was put together in three easy parts. The branches had to be shoved down and formed into tree branches but for the most part it was up in less than 15 minutes. It will be easy to put away. My wife is still hanging jingle bells on the tree that she makes the hook for them from shining ribbon.
Can you see the algae eater hanging onto the side of the tank. He has cleared all of the green from the back glass in less than three weeks. It is clear. His partner must have died or was eaten by a larger fish as he seems to be the only one in action.
What a mess this all is. The old part of the porch needs to be reworked but getting the new part put in will encourage me to fix the old side. The water from the roof was being drained into a eave trough but it was not doing the job. The whole wall below the porch would be soaking wet after a very heavy rain.
I had to remove a lot of rot on the eave part of the house. I have connected into the eave and continued the roof down to match the existing porch.
Yesterday I did the framing and I finished up a little this morning. I put the OSB on the roof using up a lot of scrap pieces from projects on my parents house. I had to tear my garden shed apart to find all of it but it was worth it. Buying new sheating really wasn't necessary when I already had some.
It is hard to explain why the joists are where they are but I had to attach to existing ones in the house. So the spacing isn't up to standards but will hold up the roof just fine. I have one board that I see that I didn't get cut and placed into a gap. I can still do it but didn't notice it until I took the photo. This whole width is only 36 inches so I won't have to worry about it being supper strong. I just have to be sure I have tied it in correctly to the old roof and that things all match up when the finishing is done.
I had two good days to do this and it is not done. I will put some paper on it and may call it quits for the season. I will buy some of the finishing materials but don't think I will ever get good days to work on it. At least the water is going to be directed away from the house and that gutter in which it is coming won't be causing water problems to the house.
It is graying up this afternoon and I know rain is on the way. I have metal pieces that I should get up there and I ran out of nails. The roof is partially nailed down. I never thought I would run out of leftover nails but this is the project that dissolved my reserves.
I hope you are doing well today. Thanks for stopping by to visit.