Monday, June 8, 2009

A barrel for nails......



I found this barrel at my parent's place and it looked the worse for wear. My dad saved it from an old garage that he had torn down and he had stored things in it. In the older days, nails were shipped to hardwares in barrels like this. My wife said keep it, don't throw it away and I was reluctant as it was so dirty. I brought it home and I washed it. We picked out a geranium, a variegated-leafed geranium, and a variegated-leafed impatience plant. The flowers on that are a double pink flower. I planted the three in a flower pot that just fit in the top of the barrel as I didn't want to put dirt in the entire container. The dirt wouldn't had been good for the wood if I planned to keep it around for very long. I was surprised how well it turned out. I didn't get a tall and spiked plant in it and I may go back to the store to get one, but for now it is looking good. Thanks for reading....

4 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Just lovely :)
We have a nail barrel just like that one, it's holding blue daze at the moment....
You just keep coming up with wonderful projects !

Unknown said...

I love it! My grandpa had barrels like that in his general store back in the early 1900's. I only know that because my brother claimed a few of those barrels when we were kids. Mom called them nail barrels. I hate to tell this but it was back in the day when kids decorated their rooms with blacklights and neon posters. He painted one of his barrels with red and white stripes. Stupid huh? Kinda like painting an oak dresser green....what were we thinking??

Erin said...

I agree with your wife...this is a great idea. I love when I can use things that were originally meant for one thing, for something completely different.

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I really like it, I like the height that it adds. Those geraniums look perfect in it.