Monday, June 1, 2009

Rhubarb Cobbler....

To make a long story short, yah, that will be a first for me, anyway, I was over at the neighbor's putting in tomato plants for them that I had grown. They both work way tol many hours so I just went over and planted them for them. While there, as I do each year, I took out some of the seed stalks of their huge rhubarb plants so the plants won't mature too early. When I pulled them out, stalks along side of them came out with the seed stalks. Can't throw good rhubarb away, so I went home and pulled more from my own plants to make cobbler.
The before picture with butter pats on top with the bisquick topping on the very top, sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon.
My wife and I like to cook together and we juggle the tasks and lean on the strenghs in skill and make something. I cut up the stalks and boiled the filing to make it thick, under my wife's supervision. I would like to share the recipe like my blogger friend, Claude in France, but it is just a Better Homes and Garden cookbook recipe and Bisquick topping.
The after shot with it coming out of the oven. We did pretty good considering the timer decided to malfunction.
I know that strawberry rhubarb is actually called that because it is the color of the plant and not that you put strawberries in it. But I like to put strawberries in it to give it that extra different flavor. I didn't cook them ahead as they cooked out easily in the oven.
The finished product cooled and ready to be eaten. I really don't get this crazy about food, but this is a good thing, right Martha?


Need I say it was delicious with a pork chop and bake potato supper. I may have to have some more before I go to bed. Thanks for reading.....

1 comment:

Erin said...

I've always heard "strawberry rhubarb" and had no idea that didn't call for actual strawberries, so I learned something today! I've never had rhubarb...kind of nervous about trying it because I've heard of what it's known to do to you afterward...but I've heard it's great!