Sunday, February 7, 2010

Seeing Red on Wheels........


As I dug through my collections storage cupboard, I didn't know where to begin. I have saved my old toys to share with you for the dark days of winter. I guess the next storm is on it's way. I have lost track of how many we have had now.


I haven't had the time to research which of these vehicles is the oldest.  This fire truck is missing a lot of parts but it was made by the Tootisietoy company.  It is made of stamped metal and has a hard rubber-like wheels.  


The front view shows a 40's style vehicle and can you see the little canister on the side of the running board?





This fire chief car must have been part of the set as it is made out of the same material and also is stamped Tootsietoy. The car has little silver painted stripes still on it. I am a 50's kid so I don't know the model of the car but someone out there does know.  It reminds me of the '48 Pontiac that sits next door but there were a lot of cats that looked alike.





I am assuming that this car is older, prewar era, as it is made of a soft rubber.  I don't think they used rubber for anything but the war effort in mid forties. The tires are also rubber.



I like how the makers of this truck didn't think kids would care if they could see the tires.  I am sure production was easier this way but a vehicle was never made with the wheels totally covered.  If you click on this photo you can see the silver image of the guy driving the truck.




This again is a matching piece to the truck above.  It is also rubber with painted silver accents.



The back view of a luxurious car. Some day I will get these guys dated but for now I will just share.




This is all hard plastic  It almost looks like a space alien vehicle with they way it is designed.  I believe this it the newest item in the bunch.

This is a collection that just happened. I grabbed them up before they were to be discarded. They were not my toys. I didn't take everything and sometimes I wonder why I hadn't been greedy, but my kids will either appreciate it or just throw them away.  I know one can't save every old thing in the world, but it is fun to save some of it.

Thanks for stopping by...........

7 comments:

Sunny said...

I'm so happy you saved this wonderful collection from extinction. I love the Fire Chief's car.
Sunny :)

Anonymous said...

I remember my older brother and I had cars just like these. The old chief's car looks like something from an old Perry Mason mystery! Thanks for sharing these - I'll fwd. them on to my brother to jog his memory. Hope you are enjoying the afternoon and I hope the storm won't be bad.

Unknown said...

There is nothing wrong with collecting old things! I've had a dream of owning a red 1950's Ford truck for a long time. (a real one) I see myself traveling to car shows and having a good time with it. Maybe someday that dream will come true.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Wonderful old treasures! I will send Far Guy by later to look at them. I hope you don't get tons of snow..it has been snowing here since last night..fine, fine snow. I am ready for winter to be over:)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Far Guy says "You have some real cool stuff..real treasures they are!! He enjoyed looking at them:)

Rosaria Williams said...

These are lovely collections, precious in what they represent.

The Retired One said...

These cars and trucks are fabulous...I am sure your collection is worth a lot of money!