Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sissy Cup......


My Ebay purchase finally arrived.  It came from a Canadian establishment and it takes awhile for it to get here. Ten days shipping was what I figured that it took to get here.

If you remember in an older blog, I had bought this saucer for a dollar in northern Minnesota at a flea market.  I liked the design on it so much I wanted to get a cup to go with it.  You can see the gold trimmed plate is that cheap plate.  The pattern is called Greenwood Tree.

As an inexperienced bidder I was playing games at the end with a bidder to see how high they had set their bid and I got stuck with the above cup and saucer for a high very large price. I went fifty cents over their top bid. At the beginning at the bidding all the unknown bidders of antique shops had made bids hoping to get it for nothing.  I had set my top price and I ended up going way over it.  Heck it was my first learning experience with something like this.


There was one problem that I now know was my fault, that I should have written to see what size it was.  The saucer is a normal size but the cup is a small thing.  Some of the people selling on ebay tell the size but this one didn't. I now know that I should ask if they don't tell.


At the funeral today I was reminded of a story. The wonderful woman, Lois, who passed away, had a dad named Andy Ewoldson.  His first wife had died and he remarried to a nice woman named Bonnie. After her dad had died, Lois remained a  good daughter to her and we were at Bonnie's house one evening.  While there she fed us ice cream and coffee.  As she put cups on the table, she asked if I wanted a mug or a sissy cup.  I said I wasn't sure what it was, but I was man enough to take a sissy cup.  So she gave me coffee in her fine china cup instead of a mug.  


So as a grown man, I bought myself a sissy cup.  I do believe that I will create a landscape painting around the design on this cup with it's old tree.  If I find a mug, with gold trim on it, I may buy it and then try to resell the cup and saucer above.   I really like the colors of the mug. I like that it is a piece made in England.  I like that pieces of the sets are showing up in Australia for sale and more in Canada.  They haven't been produced for a very long time so their value is not going to decrease.   

Well, enough on this.  I want to sell art on Ebay so it makes me more aware of what I need to tell the buyer about actual size.   Thanks for reading.......

Hey Nanook from  the  North here, we are suppose to get five more inches of snow through the next two days.  We will have clean, white snow again!!!!!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a lovely pattern. I looked on replacements.com and they do have some pieces in stock in this pattern. What a neat idea to use this pattern for inspiration for a painting. Cute story about the "sissy" cup.

Unknown said...

Sissy cup....LOL!

While I was on vacation I read Sarah Palin's book, Going Rogue. She mentioned that her husband Todd attended several tea parties for Governor's wives as "First Dude." Todd, a two time iditerod winner, had no problem sipping tea at the Governor's wives luncheons at the White House with Mrs. Bush....and no doubt he was sipping from sissy cups! What a dude!

Rosaria Williams said...

You were determined to have a matching set! A good lesson!

OiseauBird said...

Sometimes we have bad surprise with Ebay..sorry
This fine china cup is very lovely, elegant and nice design , a sissy cup, I like it.

Sunny said...

It's a very lovely design. I too have purchased things on Ebay and been a bit surprised at the size or I should say lack of size when received.
Don't forget to hold up your pinkie finger while sipping from you sissy cup. Ha-ha!
Sunny :)

Vernita Hoyt said...

This is a lovely cup and saucer, and I had to laugh about your calling it a "sissy" cup. Your blog looks great! Love all the photos in the sidebar, and your writing is superb.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

I think the sissy cup is really a lovely pattern. The cup doesn't look too small to me for the saucer, maybe I need to put my glasses on. :-)

FlowerLady

The Retired One said...

I am SURE you meant me when you called me Nanook from the North...ha....
I swear you are getting more snow than WE are this year for sure..today here it was 38 degrees, sunny and melting..
but they say snow might be in our forecast for later in the week. I won't care because I will be downstate Michigan and then in Ohio for a few days visiting my 90 and 81 yr. old uncles...hope they don't get snowed in there!

Far Side of Fifty said...

More snow for you? I didn't think you lived in the snow belt..but this year you sure are getting your share.
That is a beautiful little cup and saucer..it will make a great inspiration for a painting! :)