Thursday, May 27, 2010

Peonies, Peonies, and more Peonies, and dog stuff........


It was scheduled to rain and I knew that rain will take out your blooms quickly so I went out and cut a few for the inside.


My peony row is old. It has been here on this property as long as I have lived here 34 years. I think they have been lining the drive so many more years than that. With the house over 104 years old I bet they have a little more history than just my lifetime.


We didn't have extreme rainfall but as you can see everything is drooping.  It could have been worse. The rains sometime make the blooms shed into piles of little petals.



I always say that I have a white peony and every blooming season I am reminded that this has a yellow with red dots of color on it.  I wonder if the pure white ones were bred to be that way, as I don't have a white peony.  I will be watching my neighbor's plants across the street and see if they have the perfect white. This one is wonderful anyway.

My wife's cousin who lives in Minburn called and said a neighbor has a yellow peony.  I saw one once at the nursery where I was working one summer, but I have never seen one in a garden.  Anyone out there who has a yellow peony,  please share it.

It was a busy Wednesday for us and we are taking both dogs to the Vet today.  We decided to get two different appointments as it is easier not to take them both in at the same time.  Button got a haircut and a bath.  Barnabas received an hour long brushing.  I need to brush him so much more than I do.  He has the softest, silky hair when I brush him.  Button has the soft cotton-like fur which gets very white when he gets his bath. His brown ears get so fluffy after being washed. He had a hard time drying out tonight so we had to wrap him in an afghan to get him warmed.

Thanks for stopping by........

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad you shared a photo of the row of peonies. They are so pretty and the bouquet you cut with all the different colors is beautiful. Don't you wish those blooms could tell you who planted them and when. I'm sure that person would be overjoyed to know someone still treasures and cares for them. I bet Barnabas and Button are looking very sporty after their appointments.
I have not seen a yellow peony - I know that would be amazing!

Kris said...

Pretty pretty peonies, Larry. Wish you had a 'scratch-n-sniff' blog. ;-D

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Love your peonies. How wonderful to have a row of them, and that they have some history, being there so long.

Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

Vicki Lane said...

So beautiful! My white peonies all have those little flecks of red. I've seen a yellow tree peony in a catalogue-- but not in actuality.

Far Side of Fifty said...

The old white ones are never truly white..they do look like it in bud tho..
I saw a yellow one once, I think it has since died..it was a memorial flower as it was very expensive. The Tree peonies the Japanese ones come in yellow..you might be able to grow them there in Iowa Larry.
That vase of peonies is beautiful!

We try to be in a routine brushing Chance..but sometimes between the woods and his fondness for his swimming pool we get behind..then it is off to the groomer:)

Sunny said...

Your peonies are beautiful. Lucy said she'd love to see pictures Barnabus and Button :)
☼ Sunny