Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thursday's twists.......


My red weigela bush continues to struggle.  I can get some great blooms from it but it hasn't grown in size for  many years.  I will be moving it to more light away from the north side of the house sometime after the blooms fade.


We had a morning of errands to run Wednesday but in the afternoon I was able to get some planting done.  I need to now buy some filler plants for these. I needed to get what I had purchase two weeks ago into the big planters.  I am so good about buying plants in good weather and then the bad weather keeps me from getting them transplanted.  They are already root bound and need to have a bigger space to grow.  The geraniums are the saved plants that overwintered in the spare room.  I was able to root  six pieces in water to increase my planting.


I have moved my computer out of the dining room and into a new area.  When I look to the side at the bookshelves I see ceramic pieces that I have collected.  I shot this rooster to share one of my antique buys.  The sad thing is that the place that I bought this from, which is in Osceola, has shut it's doors.  It was two large floors of old things.  What I liked about the store  was the items  the sold really did have a Southern Iowa flavor of farming people and the things they lived with for the past 70 years.   I will miss the place.
Thursday is up in the air as to what I will be doing, but I will start out with a frame job and then see what happens.  I have been out and weeded a couple of areas yesterday and I do plan to hit a couple of new places today.  If I hit it everyday, I should be able to get it into better shape for a respectable gardener.  Thanks for stopping in........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

John and I love weigelas. We had to transplant one last year to a sunnier spot. It is doing much better now.
That rooster is really nice. Sad about the store closing. We have had so many old-time favorite antique shops to close in the last year.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Hi Larry, Your Weiglia is very pretty.. I have the same problem with my Forsythia..I think I might move it. Your geraniums look very healthy! :)

Alan Burnett said...

Interesting to note that the Antique Shops are closing in the States as well. There has been a real turn-down in the antiques market in this country due to such things as amateur car-boot sales and the like. It's sad as car boot sales are mainly full of third-rate junk.

Gigi Ann said...

The Weigela bush is such a lovely color. You called it red, but it looks more violet to me. The rooster is cute. Have a nice Thursday.

The Retired One said...

Love that first bush and its horned shaped flowers!