Monday, November 29, 2010

Plant stand........


When I was a freshmen in high school I opted to take industrial arts instead of vocational agriculture.  My cousin and I were the only two guys who took it from our class and it was a brave thing to do being a freshmen being placed in a class with students of all ages.

I was serious and shy back then so it was not an easy class for me as the instructor really enjoyed just messing around with the guys.  It was a struggle to get instruction.  I had this plan for a plant stand and my instructor did help me find some wood to make it.  I was artsy back then too so I picked birdseye maple boards.  It is a great looking wood and I made this plant stand.  Today, I would like to take it all apart and shrink it in size plus get the joints glued together more accurately.   Where was the instructor when I glue this together?  I haven't a clue.  I really could have had a better product.  It still turned out good enough for a 14 year old kid.

I inherited this from my parents before they were gone.  It was too large for the house they had move into and my mom had quit growing violets probably five years before I  brought it home with me.

The violet plant light must put out a different form of heat as you can see that the camera picked up a reddish color.  I leave the light on night and day and the birds don't seem to mind too much.  We will see the results of this new light when the violets actually bloom.

I started this  blog yesterday and here I am finishing it today.  It was a day in southern Iowa for me today. Thanks for stopping by.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a nice stand for the plants. I have always loved violets but have no luck with them plus my cats try to eat anything green!

Let us know if you get snow tonight.

The Retired One said...

I think it is a really nice stand!! You are such a perfectionist artist! LOL

Far Side of Fifty said...

It looks pretty good to me! You could always put it on your list and rip it apart next summer:)