Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This is what it is...........




Aunt Mamie Stevenson's shipping barrel, now a rain barrel.  The barrel was shipped from Madagascar to the United States filled with things from  her experiences as a nurse and missionary.  She was our boys great Aunt who served over 30 years over there working to help many people.
The barrel contained a replica grass hut, a very sharp spear, an old blanket, many woven items, a dried turtle and a quilt.  It was a red and white quilt that I assume someone had sent her as a gift while she was working over there. The dried turtle was a beautiful thing and a science teacher, thief, that I worked with borrowed it and never returned it.  I have forgiven her, the thief, but will always remember she stole borrowed my turtle. It probably is sitting on her coffee table right now in Madrid, Iowa. I guess I need to give her a call. 
Thanks for stopping by...........the turtle would have been the prize for the person who guess correctly what this was, but I don't have it anymore

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting story about Aunt Mamie's life and how sad that a colleague would fail to return the turtle.

Sunny said...

Aunt Mamie's rainbarrel was the first thing I thought of but then I put pollen on a birdbath! Haha!
Sorry about your turtle, I've had a few trinkets meet the same kind of fate.
☼ Sunny

Gigi Ann said...

I never would have guessed that in a million years, but the winner is.................. The Colleague, who has the turtle...

Far Side of Fifty said...

Cool and I liked the story about Aunt Mamie, it sounds like she had some cool things. Doncha just hate it when people borrow stuff and don't return them. I had a "friend" who borrowed a Floral Arranging book from me..about ten years ago..never returned. Several books of mine are floating out and about out there..luckily my name was in them should the thieves ever decide to come clean. I hope the turtle haunts them:)

Linda said...

That is quite amazing. What a tale that simple barrel has.
I've seen you write before about a former colleague who appropriated something. I wonder if it's the same one?

The Retired One said...

I loved that macro from the moment you sent it to me for the contest. I am already getting great comments about it from the judges....I haven't heard who the winner is yet, but it is an amazing shot!