Friday, March 8, 2013

Friday........


The glass bowl has a raised grapevine pattern on it. There is gold trim on the rim of the bowl.  I remember when Iva Horton handed the three nesting bowls to my mom probably fifty years ago.  Judging from the condition of the gold on the trim, they look like they had rarely been used as the gold is like new in appearance.



The grape vine design is raised so you can feel the decoration on the side of the bowl. This is the larger of the three bowls.  I can't see them being used as mixing bowls even though they remind me of them.  I bet they were to be matching serving pieces.




I visited the Woodsmith Store in Urbandale a few days ago.  Urbandale is a suburb of Des Moines.  I bought these maple boards for a frame project that I have been asked to do.  I won't share much right now but the maple boards are to represent a basketball floor frame.

As a note of interest to anyone who ever watches the Woodsmith Store on Public Television, the shows are taped at this store here in Iowa.  At the back of the store, they built a large set in which they can tape the  "how to show" of working with wood and wood tools.  They do a lot of furniture making as well as decorative boxes.  I do think they shared about making wood frames one show but I knew all the stuff they had to say. They did have some different clamps than me but they are trying to sell products on the sly while taping the show.

We are warming up today so that it will give us rain over the weekend.  It will eventually turn into snow.  I think they are not really sure how this front will turn out as a drop in temps really can become sleet and snow in an instant.

Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Debbie Lo said...

Wow, Larry, those bowls are really something special. And in such great shape! I love the raised pattern on them. What a treasured keepsake. :-)

Have a wonderful weekend!

Far Side of Fifty said...

Yes they were a set of serving bowls..my grandmother had them. I used to have one for jello and also a juice pitcher. The weather is crappy here too..I bet you won't head for Chicago this weekend either. Seems like winter is getting really long:)