Friday, August 7, 2015

Friday's Things.......


The phlox planting is seen clearly from our dining room window.  It is nice to have them standing so tall to be able to see them while sitting at the table.  The agapanthus plants live on in their pots.  I have seen one of the plants put out blooms once.  If I owned a nursery, I would divide all of those bulbs in those two pots and would have dozens of new plants to sell.  Agapanthus has a lily like bloom and does not over winter in Iowa.  Mine live in the basement each year for many years now. I am surprised that the plastic planters have not broken apart.



The Susans are loving our weather this summer.  They have spread more than I had ever noticed before and I am sure the rains helped that.  I have thoughts about moving some of it but I already have so too many places planted and it is too much to care for anymore.


A crew was out yesterday picking up debris of splashed blacktop pieces and old concrete patches in the dirt along the new sidewalk areas. I really don't think they are going to ever finish this job in town.  Our city will be full of people today and tomorrow for the garage sales.  We have one street still blocked from the watermain break so we won't have traffic bothering us on one side of the property. I hope to see them bring back all that dirt that they took away from the ditches so they can fill in the sides of the streets and the new sidewalks. There are some problems with the design of the sidewalk entrances which will be leaving holes in the yards for drainage.  A good place to step into to break an ankle.  I suspect those holes will fill in with natural dirt runoff and the homeowners won't bother to clean them out.



I did get a shot of my orange red hardy geranium.  It is the traditional color that was sold back when I was a kid.  It was never a true red while today they have bred the plant to have the true red.  I worked with the camera to get the comparison shown in this photo.  All of my hardy geraniums are back now from the heavy rain period a few weeks ago. All seem to be in full bloom.







It is all about comparing apples and orange zinnias.  Well it is only one zinnia and it is standing tall right now. The other zinnia plants are much shorter but I am sure if they do start to bloom that they will grow some tall stems.

I am feeling a lot better today but won't be doing a lot of hard work.  I cleaned some floors yesterday and the muscles told me I had been sick.  My wife is a couple of days behind me with the summer cold.  She is back eating now too and we will just be taking it easy again today.  We both talked about how it seemed we have lost a week in getting the things done that we really did plan on doing.  We helped our friend a couple of different days and that was most important and salvaging some time to do some minor things is better than nothing.

I am hearing sounds of garbage trucks and lots of traffic already going by for the garage sales.  I need to make a little noise now and go feed the birds before they start to scold me. It is Friday and the weekend is coming.









Thanks for stopping by today. 

5 comments:

troutbirder said...

Very nice. There is something about the tall "stateliness" of those phlox that I really like...:)

Anonymous said...

I enjoy seeing your flowers. You have a pretty view from the DR window. I spent all day yesterday in bed due to straining my bad foot (I could not put ANY weight on it). I sure hope you and your neighbors can make enough complaints to get the city to fill in beside the sidewalk to prevent broken ankles.
You two take care; I hope you both can rest over the weekend and feel better soon.
On fb, I messaged you re a blog friend who posted about "unknown" dishes today - turns out they are Mildred and intro. her to our Mildred group!

Anonymous said...

Hi Larry! Your flowers are so lovely and you're quite the photographer. I wasn't sure which of your blogs to comment on the then I looked at the dates, so here I am! Thank you so much for commenting on my post about my Mildreds! I'm so excited to learn of the pattern from our mutual friend, Mildred. I've joined the FB page now and will be on the lookout for more. I don't think they are so easy to find. Any way, thanks for popping in to see me and I would love to see your Mildreds.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such a pretty planting of Phlox! I hope you and Della both shake the summer cold, rest when you can! :)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Gorgeous Phlox such a pretty color Larry.
You really are fortunate to have that green thumb :)
~Jo