Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Second Day of the Week....


As I was posting this photo I thought that I will get a lot of good winter photos of this tree. I also notice that my dogwood bushes  were a good visual barrier from all the neighbors.  They were getting really tall so I would not have seen that light in the window before the trim. I am sure the neighbors liked not being able to see us too.

When we first moved here it was an adjustment as to how private we should live.  I walked by the sliding glass door and the neighbor guy, young, was in his large window. When he saw me walk by I noticed that he jumped and ducked out of sight.  He has gotten use to the idea that we like to see out and our double glass door curtains are going to be opened in the daytime. Within a few weeks I noticed that they now just leave their curtains open most of the time. I guess we are old but not too scary to them anymore.


A project in progress is this old piano stool. I have had it for over 40 years and never refinished it.  I am thinking that it may get a coat of paint as the wood is really not in good shape.

The claw feet are metal, which I can't identify the kind at this point. I need to research that as I would have thought they would be  brass. The glass ball inside that taloned feet seems to be soundly fastened.



The bottom of the seat doesn't really look like it is made of a fancy wood.  I may have to strip that residue finish to see what it is.

The metal bracket has the words "gerts" and "Chicago" cast in it. As with most pieces that I restore, I work at it before I decide how to finish it.  I could see the seat refinished as a natural wood and maybe the base being black or brown paint. I have to glue most of the joints as that has all vanished.  It holds together well because of its design but I wouldn't want anyone to sit on it until it has been repaired. I could see it slowly squash down with weight on it, spread-eagle.
It isn't the money thing that I keep the hardy geraniums over the winter.  It is that when they are so much alive and healthy I can't just let it die.  So, I now have three of theses sitting on the back of my workshop bench.  I turn on the shop light once in a while just for them and they will survive for spring. The other two sit in galvanized buckets and I really do need one of the buckets.  I will find something else to use up at the old place. As a footnote, I did let one other geranium freeze and die of natural causes.

It is Tuesday and we are warming up a little bit.  It will be nice to be outside with a light jacket. Thanks for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have lived at a few homes where privacy was a real issue. Currently, we do not need window coverings on the back of the house as we back up to thick woods and there are no homes behind us. On the front, though, we sit fairly close to the street and we do keep the curtains closed after dark.
Best wishes with those geraniums. I look forward to following along the restoration of the piano stool.
Glad you will warm up a little today.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Privacy is not an issue with us as we are on the 5th floor overlooking the Nashua River. Of course, there will be some apts across the river aways when that renovation project is completed next year, but only is folks use binoculars! The piano bench restoration project looks interesting, but as you said sitting on the stool would most likely not be advised.