Friday, January 12, 2018

Friday’s Findings.....


I have decided that this area is my morning office. I start here first, watching the news, discuss the plans for the day with my wife, and drinking coffee.  Today I had to go off and take photos as I was completely out of material to share. I ended up with 22 shots that edited down to 17 images.  I was able to return to my office and coffee again, While editing the photos I can watch this old house.

My roving camera found this image of an impromptu feeder.  I had wind blowing so hard that the birds really couldn’t get on the feeder.  I placed this cast iron griddle on the deck floor, out of the way of snow and wind.  I did get takers.

The griddle itself brings up all sorts of memories of pancakes.  My mom and her mom too, liked to turn the heat on high with all pans for all cooking. There never thought to regulate the amont of heat one should have, it just needs to be as hot as possible. My mom would make pancakes on this griddle when I was a kid. The house was smokey, hazed with the scorched pancakes she made.  I can look back and really laugh about it now but as a kid it seemed so strange. Some of my last memories of my mom in her later years was to come into the house to visit and see what was happening. A  pan full of peeled potatoes boiling at full blast and she is in the living room sipping instant coffee.  I would mention the pan was boiling very rapidly and she would say that she was glad so it can cook, “leave it alone”. I wonder now that maybe lard doesn’t work well for griddle cooking and that could be why there was so much smoke. I was so thrilled to eat pancakes in my later years that were not blackened and hard.


As I descend the staircase I can see images like this through the railing.  Barney doesn’t want us to leave the room but he too won’t follow us around so much. The electric cords are from all the set up of Christmas lights on the railing and the village’s light. They will be gone soon and I can then truly dust that floor.

The random shot tells the story of what needs to be done. I bought some more track for my train display. I am now able to use up some of the plastic bins that we bought to help move here.  My older son kept going back to the store and buy more as he wanted to get the job done and the bins were good for him.



I added a couple of edge boards and then removed them immediately before the glue dried.  After supper I made some length adjustments and attached them again. I am disgusted with this but somehow I always pull it off. I have a panel of oak siding that will be attached to the back of it. The rest is undecided as I am still flying by the seat of my carpenter jeans. No one will be allowed to use a tape measure to check things out while viewing this set of shelves.

A shot of what is still sitting on the top of the fridge. I need to find a place to store all things that are old, low functioned, and can be replaced by more modern pieces.  I had tomatoes in the bowl early on and I displayed iris and tulips in the canning jar a few months ago.

Final shot for the day is this interesting piece that has been blown into my yard.  I am thinking it is a piece of plastic used by the neighbor who is working on a child’s play house across the fence. I have seen the newspapers and drink cups in my yard as the wind blows down the street in the front yard and it all ends up coming down the hill between houses.

We survived all that wind and cold from yesterday's storm. We are actually colder today than yesterday and the temps keep dropping.  I have portions of walk to clear today and we have to go for a hospital visit today.  Barney really can’t make the complete outdoor visits on days like this without his dad dragging him back into the house.  His front paws get too cold and I partially life his front end to get him drug back inside. He hasn’t a clue about temperature so he just lays down thinking that will solve his problem. There would be no way he would ever wear boots on his paws.

I know a lot of my blogging friends are suffering from the cold.  I hope everyone stays safe. Thanks for stoping by today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Old dogs and old people don't do so good in the cold. We were half way warm earlier today but have wind chill warning tonight and tomorrow morning so watch out you might get colder. Chance wouldn't wear those doggie boots either:)

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet picture of Barney.
I enjoyed seeing that griddle and reading the story of your Mom cooking at high heat. I have a friend who has a daily spot on fb and everything she cooks looks burned/scorched to me!