Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Middle of the Week.....



Clear and cold this morning but we will warm some today. The snow probably won’t melt today but the next few days seem hopeful for that.


Looking more westerly the sky was pink this morning.  The old tree up the ravine between our houses  did finally lose its leaves.


I found in a box the last of my animals from my old barn set. All of the little ducks and chickens have apparently been swept up and thrown away.  I remember farm geese with the sets along with colts and calves. I use to line up the little ducks in a row.  I do remember that the set had brown horses and brown cows.


My older brothers went to the state fair with the neighbors.  One of the brothers brought me the holstein. He must have gotten it from a cattle barn display. It always bothered me that it was not like all the other cows. The platform  didn’t seem to be right either.


We took down the angel tree today and all the figurines that go with it. My workshop area is looking better now that most of the boxes have been refilled and place on shelving again.

I tossed an old can of varnish that we moved here so I did get another new one bought. I have a second coat of Varithane to paint on my display.  I really don’t understand why some products raise the grain on certain kinds of woods.  I have a lot of sanding to do in order to smooth the wood out again.

I am getting anxious to get it done but things do come up to keep me from working on it. We have a trip to make today to help my wife’s friend, to be moved to a nursing home.  I hope it is temporary as she will be getting rehab durning the stay.  It would be nice if we could get here into her apartment again.

The sun is shining and it is going to warm up today. No thawing will be happening today as the projected temperature numbers seem to be forecast too high. I am hoping that we get warm enough over the weekend that at least half of the snow can go away.

I see the people in the South are much colder than they normally every have.  Those in the north are having unbelievable temperatures.  Iowa has always had these extremes as we are affected by those above us and also those below us.   I hope everyone is safe and staying warm.  Thanks for checking in today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

We are warming up so you will probably get warmer too! Your shelf is coming along...sometimes wood just needs to be primed and painted:)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to learn of your wife's friend having to go into the nursing home. I pray that the rehab will be helpful and perhaps she can get back into an apt. God bless you both for assisting her. I like watching your shelving come to life.