Friday, January 5, 2018

Friday’s Finds.....


The cemetery that I pass as I go to the old place is called the Lincoln Cemetery. I found the name and Far Side found the name on Findagrave website. I don’t know how hard it was for her to find it but sometimes I have to "dance and sing" to get where I want to be on that site. I explained in an earlier blog that the edge of the cemetery next to the road is the oldest part of it.  It reminds me of a pioneer cemetery as it sits on top of a hill which was next to a large river valley at the time of its beginning. The Des Moines River has keen dammed up now and the Saylorville Lake is in that valley. I remember when a cemetery down in the valley that had to be moved before the dam was completed.

An interesting thing about this set of stones above is the one that must have been purchases years after the death of the woman. Her death was in 1879. Judging by the ages of the others, the new stone is in great shape.


I saw the old cedar tree today as I drove by the place. These old trees were left to grow in a lot of our old cemeteries. They were volunteer and probably thought it needed to have a tree.  The newer part of the cemetery is in the back of this photo and does go down to the edge of that tree line. There is a road on the other side of the trees that direction but some day the ones on the right will probably be removed for enlarging the sound.

I shared a similar shot of this stone earlier, a week or so ago. This photo shows that they have planted evergreens along the one side that faces the road that goes to the mile long bridge.

I have an older friend that worked as a janitor in the schools for many years.  I worked with him one summer and he talked about the cemetery.  He and his family is from Granger five miles or so to the west of the place. He told me he was going to be buried there when he  died.  I never though more about it but it seemed strange as to what he said.  When I take the road along side of the back of the cemetery to go to take photos at the lake, I see two or three stones with name of Herrold on them.  His family must be buried there.

The junco doesn’t seem to mind that there is a snow drift on the railing. I am still not getting many takers at my feeders but the longer I leave it there I am sure there will be a crowd.

I thawed out my truck to take to to the old place today.  It had ice coated over the wipers so I had to spend a lot of time warming up the truck to melt it loose. I had not been driving it for a while as I am still mad about what someone did to the bumper of it.  I have a deep dent in the back chrome bumper from someone backing into it while I was inside of Menard’s.  It had to be quite a hit to dent it in like that. I had not noticed it until I backed the truck in to unload it into the garage.A lot of construction I see why people park their trucks far away from the crowd now.  I did one day park farther away once and one small little car parked to the drivers side of me so I couldn’t open the door.

I too have been hit on the front white bumper of the Buick with a black mark from their bumper.  The black of their bumper did not clear with scrubbing and the scratched up surface is going to require me to have it worked on. I guess living in a big city does cause some negative things to happen.

I need to close down for today.  I hope that all the people out east are surviving the harsh winter weather. We will be thawing out by Sunday for a very short time.  I am amazed how we now thing 36 degrees F. is warm.  Thanks for stopping by today.


2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

It was easy I just entered the name on the tombstone and found the name of the cemetery. It is a pretty place, you will have to go back in the spring and summer:) Sorry to hear about your vehicles...the bums anyway. :(

The Furry Gnome said...

We've got one more day of our bitter cold til it breaks.