Friday, August 17, 2018

Friday’s Blog Posting.......


The cloud reminds me of the mountain carving of an Indian chief that is being done in one of the Dakota states. I took this last evening before the storm that came through and missed us. I could see it  on radar breaking into two parts. Our town didn’t get more the ten drops per square foot. Early morning we did get a little more then.


I was late in getting this pan planted with moss rose.  It took forever to bloom until I put it out into the hot sun. The granite ware pan does have  rusted out holes in it to allow for drainage.



When I was a kid on the farm in southern Iowa my mom would plant this in a couple of different places.  It would come up from its own seed each year. The photo here shows the  first few blooms in the pan after it was placed in the sun.

We did got two tenths of an inch of rain early morning.  It was so little in amount that the sidewalks were dry by early this morning. A few trees were dripping some moisture but it was not a major rain. I may go ahead and water today as we have large cracks in our soil and I last watered on Wednesday.


Our sky looked like this a few evenings ago. We were getting rain at the old place from these yellow clouds. I bet I could drive down into the river valley and see quite a view of this sunset.  We drive south about three miles and we are in the Des Moines River valley where there are still open views because of the farmland there. The town of Johnston is sort of in the road but it is farther away enough that a sunset can sort of be viewed.


Normally we never see the clouds in the evening but when the color is this bright you can’t stop what we are doing and go out to see what is going on out there. That being said, we sometimes have greater sky shows in the front of the house and we don’t see them unless I go out with the dog.  I have been looking for the new moon and I realized that it is out there but its view is blocked by the neighbors birch trees.

 Our youngest grandson added rocks to the birdbath when he was visiting. I liked what it looks like so I added more with a main rock for the birds to sit on for a drink.

No big plans for today.  We took off to visit the pie place yesterday afternoon and had a great outing. It wasn’t busy and we didn’t have to wait to be seated of for our meal. We have a short shopping trip to do today and maybe will get a few groceries at the same time. Friday is here and the week did fly by quickly.  I wish you all to have a great day.  Thanks for checking in today.

1 comment:

Far Side of Fifty said...

I have a rock in my one bird bath too, the birds do like it. I used to plant Moss Roses as a border plant in North Dakota and I never had to buy any because they reseeded! :)