Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Middle of the Week,.....


A blurred shot of a pair of humming birds bringing their young one to the feeder.  I really had to zoom in quickly and the wind was keeping everything moving. The flew in all together and left as quickly after about thirty seconds.

The one hummingbird has a great patterned design on his neck.  I recognize this one because of its shinny yellow green feathers.
 Looking down the steps gives me a different view on the world. I also see that I may need to   paint the deck this fall.  It probably was freshly painted when we bought it and it looks like it doesn’t wear very good.



This second round of ripened cherry tomatoes is a bonus for this time of the year.  We are taking more tomatoes to my wife’s friend in Des Moines today. Within the next month I will be clearing away the dead plants as it gets closer to winter.  Some of my tomato plants are getting close to being ready to come out as all that is left is dead stems.

I was told by blogger friends that my Grandma Brooks’ quilts were made with flour and sugar sacks.  The thing is she also used a lot of here leftover cloth from making dresses and aprons. I remember the blue pattern in the foreground as one of her dresses. I can see some of the materials being sugar sacks as they have such a simple patterned  decoration.

One more different hummingbird that I can share.  The neck piece doesn’t look red here but it does reflect some red in it neck feathers. I think that this is one of the four that I have out there. I am told that the migration of these birds is starting now.

Taking my wife’s friend to the doctor today.  She gets tomatoes and we will get a meal before we go to the hospital.  It is cold this morning and it reminds me that fall is coming.  We have been have evening temperatures of upper seventies, so this morning it was in the fifties.

I was at the old place yesterday so I will skip today.  I can feel my muscles of the job that I was doing.  I was cutting quarter round to surround my new tile floor. That was a lot of up and down movements cutting things at the right angles in the right direction and the correct lengths. I did get all done with the cutting and placement but will install the next time.  I hope everyone will have a good day today.  Thanks....for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Such -pretty things in your post today quilts, hummers, Zi
nnias and tomatoes...I enjoyed them all:)

A Brit in Tennessee said...

What a delightful post Larry, all the pretty things I hold dear to my heart :)
One thing I must share about the Grandfather Ott morning glories, they are invasive, once they are sown, there is no getting rid of them, of course they are so beautiful who would want to ….lol
Love that quilt, folks made do with what they had, and were talented enough to make something useful and exquisite.
Thank you for sharing.
~Jo