Tuesday, August 7, 2018

The Second Day of the Week........


It was a slice of sundown last evening. The clouds were blocking the color so the streak of yellow was striking.

My backyard neighbor’s tree sort of glows with the streak of color behind it. This is such a great tree that sits about two houses over from our lot.

This is my second watermelon that I bought this year.  The prices are high in most cases but this time of the year they have lowered the price.  I had bought one earlier at a lower price around the 4th from Target and it was a seedless one.  This too is needles but is a different kind of melon. It is a big melon, as I cut chunks off and eat it a little at a time.  I still have that left section in fridge. I was really thirsty a few days ago and I just sit down on the deck and ate a bowl full of melon. It is a luxury as we don’t normally buy melon in the summer.

The new phlox are now planted. I am hoping that they winter over and next summer they will look more natural. As things keep growing in the cottage garden the area will fill in tightly with flowers.  I haven’t had too much of a weed problem as the larger plants are keeping them down.

The containers for the phlox cleaned up with a garden hose and now are tomato baskets.  Our boys and families are in Minnesota now and I got word last night that they ate our tomatoes in their tacos last evening.

My foundation block of the old days has four holes in it.  The sedum from the old place seems to really like growing in it. I harvested the plant from around one of my old silver maple trees.  I never expected it to do this well but it is growing with gusto.

My turtle thrives on the back patio.  We don’t sit down on the back patio but maybe we will start to do so in the fall.  It is a nice private area with vines on both sides of it. The former owners had a small free standing fire pot down there to burn wood in at night. We haven’t lived here long enough to work that into our routine.

I am off to to the old place this morning.  We are having spotty rains that are so welcomed.  We may see green grass again if the rains continue.  Thank you for stopping by today.

2 comments:

Patsy said...

We are about through with watermelon now, but sure had some good ones this year.
Your Cone flowers are different, never have seen yellow ones.
Just the pink. Always wanted white ones.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Larry, hope the phlox does thrive and return next season. The tomatoes look great and nothing better than fresh grown in summer. We really like watermelon and try to buy it often when it’s on sale during the summer.