Monday, November 14, 2011

A report about the show.......


We found out from our experience that the economy dictated what would be sold at the art festival.  Framed work is more expensive and we found it kept people from buying them.  They took the option of buying  unframed items, cards and small prints to the most part. My wife and I did each sell one framed item apiece but that was it.

It is good to get a lot of  our work framed though, even though it didn't pay. It will be hanging in our gallery for another time, another place and another show.


Our display table was a large drafting table designed by ISU students from Ames.  They have classes in this room in Perry studying city planning and design.  The tables had a place for the large light to shine down on the table surface, as you can see the slot in the table.


This is our view of our neighbors sales area.  We were on the top floor of an old bank that was renovated and redesigned by the same ISU students who created the table designs.  I will share about the corncrib board shutters later in another blog along with info about the whole project.

I am a high school math teacher today.  Thanks for stopping by............

4 comments:

Far Side of Fifty said...

Good to hear the show was somewhat of a success. I am sure the economy has much to do with your sales. Math..lucky you..have fun!:)

Anonymous said...

Hope you day as a math teacher is going well, Larry. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the info re your and Della's art show. Looks like a great place and I am pleased you had some success. You both are super talented and I imagine it was very interesting talking to the shoppers.
I know the closing on your parents' house was originally set for the 15th. I pray all is going smoothly and I thank God for answered prayers.

LoieJ said...

Price always makes a difference, but certainly, framed work usually presents better. There's always the option of two prices, one framed as shown, and another with taking the frame off.

I bought a beautiful photo last summer and asked the photographer what size frame it took. She said 8x10, so I presumed that I could frame it myself and save some money. Fat chance. Upon examination, I realized that if it were cropped for that size frame, her signature would be cut off. So I proceeded to look in numerous frame and craft stores for a ready made frame that would work. Nada. Finally, I knew what type of frame I wanted to enhance the work, but I decided to have it professionally framed: Over $60, which is probably more than I paid for the photo.

Recently, I talked to a photographer who uses a frameless method to present his work. He said that he couldn't make any money when he had his large photos framed. He said that now he can charge less and he is selling more pieces.

Then there is my friend who does water colors. She gets used frames and makes her work fit her free or nearly free frames.

I'm involved in a gallery that just opened in our little town. I'm eager to see about other experiences, such as yours.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Looks like you had a wonderful selection to offer, and yes, I would guess the economy has something to do with the lack of selling the framed pieces.
As you pointed out, they'll be available to offer at another point in time.
You are both wonderfully talented !
~Jo