Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Fancy Nothings.....


This is the one ornament that caused me to start collecting glass blown ornaments. I really don't have many old ones but this one came from my wife's family Christmas box. It is old and one of the early ones sold out of Germany.  My new glass blown ones really are not similar but yet they are of the very same process. The glass is blown into a mold.


Buying them after Christmas was my number one rule when I started. There are a few that I bought as a young kid out of college. The set came from a mall in Omaha where all of them looked like old replicas. The one on the far right, gold, with white snow on it, was in that set.  It also included ones shaped like mushrooms and small santas and churches. The fancy set that was full price is the one with the symbols of the "12 days of Christmas" song. The collection has become too large and in the past two years I have had the second tree to hold all of the smaller ornaments.

The ornaments on this tree are definitely smaller.  During the trend when they sold little sets of ten or more I picked them up. I remember buying one set of them at a candy store.  In some cases they were not glass blown.  They were good replicas though of small rocking horses and teddy bears. The last time I bought anything was last winter when a Home store were selling off their decorations.  That was the set of snowmen that I shared earlier in the blog.  I did weaken my control to buy a set of shiny brites, full price last month.  I only bought one box and within a week they were all sold out.  I could never had bought them on a sale.


After the New Year they each will come down atta slow pace.  I can move on to real life again.  I doubt I find anything on sale by now as the people hit the stores right away on the 26th of December. I really didn't see any glass blown ones out there that I would wish for as most things are now made for plastic.

We are going to go outside today and try to buy our last Christmas presents for our Arlington Heights family.  They didn't make it this year, so we will ship out once things are purchased.  It is too cold to get out but we will drive straight to the one store and get in fast and get out fast. Unbearable cold is really the right description but getting the car warmed ahead of time does make a big difference.  Dressing for the weather and not for glamour is the other thing to do.  It sounds like we will be cold for a very long time as the Arctic air settles in over our area.  I am glad that other places south of us are at least a little bit warmer.  I will close for now and thanks for stopping by today.


2 comments:

A Colorful World said...

Love your wonderful ornaments! Some of them reminded me of ones we had when I was a kid. Ornaments can bring back such special memories.

Far Side of Fifty said...

It reached you, we are warmer today so maybe tomorrow you will be warmer too:)
I like all your ornaments!